Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my wife and I moved out to Ontario last September, we rented a place because we didn't have time to buy and had no clue what the area was like. Over the winter we started shopping for a new house. In April we bought one.

Our lease ends September 1st, and we take possession of new home July 15th. We gave notice on April 28th for September 1st, honoring our 12 month lease. We stipulated that if the owner was able to rent the home out before our lease ended we would be willing to move early to avoid not paying for two places at once.

The place rented quickly, and the new tenants are scheduled to move in August 15th. I emailed my landlord to confirm the move out date for us would be August 14th and inquired about the 17 days rent I would be reimbursed.

He promptly responded Saying that he thought I would be moved out by July 15th... and that I would not be refunded any rent. In Ontario you pay with post dated checks and have to prepay your last months rent - So he has that cash. I told him that we were staying until August 14th, as per our agreement and the written notice we gave him in April. He said that I would not be refunded the 17 days of rent, and reminded me that I was allowed to move into our place 1 day before our lease started last year as a "courtesy".

I told he that was fine, however if we were going to pay for the entire month of August then we would live in the home for the entire month and he can work out some new arrangements with the new tenants. He contacts me back, saying that the new tenants have already signed for an occupancy date of August 15th, and that is the day of the new lease. I asked if he was charging them for the 17 days in August... He says "well, of course", and I said "So we're paying you full rent for August and they're paying you half rent for August? Works out nice for you eh? I think I'll call the Ontario Tenancy board" He emails me later that day saying I'll get my $800 and that there is "more to relationships than money". :roll: Easy for him to say since he would have been the recipient of all that money.

CAN'T WAIT TO MOVE!

·
Registered
546 Posts
This is the exact reason I memorized the Nebraska Tenants and Landlords Act of 1974. I can almost recite all of my legal rights and regulation regarding both myself and said landlord. I am glad to see you managed to pry away your hard earned money from that conman. I say you should still report the incident anyway so that they have him on record for the next person that he tries to swindle. Look after you fellow man and all.

·
Registered
8,073 Posts
Nice.

It has been 20+ years since I have rented, but if I had to do it again my first act would be to video every inch of the place to document moving-in conditions, after a landlord charged our damage deposit for a bunch of stuff that was already there when we moved in.

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not concerned with the damage deposit. In Ontario you actually DON'T put down a damage deposit, I believe it's actually illegal for a LL to request one. You do have to pay up front the first AND last months rent. So for us that was nearly 3K to shell out. Then this shyster tries to nickle and dime me out of half my last months... When he decides he will give me MY MONEY back he sounds like he is doing me a favor. When I called tenancy dispute office today they were pretty clear that what he was doing was illegal, and that I would just have to fill out a T1 form... Must happen often. Can't wait to go through the move out inspection, I'll just grab my check and leave.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I am currently battling the landlord for a $430 deposit she won't give back, despite having her stop in and personally tell me what to clean. It was pretty degrading.

Business people have been known to have tunnel vision, if they can take advantage of you they will. Luckily institutions exist to help out tenants like us. Give 'em hell man.

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
At first this may not sound related but hopefully you'll see towards the end it does in fact tie in. :)
Car dealer had a Ranger I was interested in. They originally wanted around $5,000 for it and this is supposedly a no hassle dealer, their final price is marked on the windshield etc. After driving it, I immediately determined it needed a clutch.
I told the salesman I'd give them $4,200 cash. Of course he had to take the offer to the manager and all that happy dance so I gave him my phone number and left, telling him not to call unless they'd accept $4,200...don't bother calling even if the counter offer was $4,201.
Next day I get a call to come back to the dealer and sit and speak with the sales manager. I agree as it's near home and on the way home from work. Manager tells me the price is still the original $5,000 and I'm instantly hot that they've wasted my time. Salesman was standing right there and I told the manager I specifically told the salesman not to call if the price was 10 cents over my final offer.
Here's where it reminded me of your landlord story. The manager said he "played the odds" that they could convince me to pony up on my offer and also the odds that I hadn't so thoroughly researched the value of the vehicle! I told him what I thought of his practices and left with no truck. They dropped the price to $4,500 a couple weeks later, no idea what it finally sold for.
Sounds like your landlord "plays the odds" that most tenants would accept his terms without questioning the fairness. Each time he gets away with it he's ahead and when he doesn't he still breaks even, pretty good odds.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
believe it or not airhead is right, most people are afraid of any kind of confrontation, good for you, you got your money back, even if is funny looking Canadian money :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts