Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Decided to make my Trooper a little more work-friendly, while dropping some weight to help counteract my recent winch/bumper install. Started in the back, ripped out the carpet and padding(took out the tie-down hooks first). No rust underneath, surprising as the carpet took alot of water damage before I owned it. Cleaned it all up, laid down the rest of the duplicolor bed armor from my flare mod, ran out, went to auto store and got one aerosol can($9.99). While on the tear I removed my back seats, and spare tire lol. Tire weighs 70lb, back seat(s) 85lb, carpet/padding 17lb. Makes up for the winch and arb bumper weight! Different distribution, but I bet my mileage goes back up 1mpg :D I always forget the before pics, so here's the after:

Not sure what I'm doing with the cargo net, but it will probably end up on the ceiling like RedStar's Axiom(great idea). $9.49(found 2 quarters when I took the seats out) and about 3 hours, more functional for me as a work vehicle and less weight.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! I'll have to fab up something vertical for my rolling toolbox to brace itself against, was the seats lol. Last thing I need are tools flying at the back of my head if it tips over.

·
Registered
648 Posts
whats wrong with quick release straps to your cargo hooks ? that way you can unstrap it in a few seconds if need be ??? i dont have a picture on here right now, but my current speaker box is held in by a steel cable from an old atv winch bolted to the 2 front cargo hooks, i scored some tamper resistant bolts from the local motorcycle shop that take a special socket as well...but thats more permanent...I actually plan on building my box into an all in one toolbox/speakerbox/amprack and ave it the same height as the seats folded flat so i can sleep on it if need be...should be cool, but i'm waiting until i lift it beacause there will definately be some added weight there...

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's what I was using before, the cargo hooks from the back of the seats to the hooks near the back doors with ratcheting straps, and if it tilted it leaned against the seat. It's about 3 ft tall with about 100lbs of weight evenly distributed from top to bottom. Thinking maybe some L brackets screwed into the floor where the "further back" hooks are, then maybe build a small "n" shaped stand off that...the toolbox isn't in the pics, it comes in and out depending on what job I'm at. I got a couple strips of velcro holding the speakerbox from moving, works fine. You're all-in-one box sounds pretty neat.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Lookin' good!

RE: The roof hooks. I'm not sure about the slope of the interior roof of the Trooper or if these would even fit, but I found these on eBay and they may be what you're looking for. Not sure about how much weight 4 of them could hold, but seems to have a decently big base and looks like it could be OEM (even though it's not) I may send the guy a message and see how much weight they could handle.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, I had these D hooks and brackets laying around and got impatient lol. It's just the bracket I'm using for the net so the D hook can be used for something else(probably won't be)

I did my offroad lights yesterday, Hella black magics...not bad for the price, was seriously considering Lightforce 8)

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Looks good. I'd consider putting the spare back on just in case.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah, though I did get that 1mpg gain!!! I'm putting the tire and hi-lift back on this wkd, along with something for the floor, the carpet and padding also acted as sound dampeners, it is quite loud without it...

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
superswire said:
I'm yellin ya man, a piece of rolled rubber roofing will work wonders, prolly heavy as ball$ though ?!?
I agree, that would work great and might be what I do next lol. BUT I did this, outdoor channel vinyl on top of the original carpet pad/sound deadener, and I put the wheelwell carpet back(after thorough cleaning). Road sound is back to the way it was, though I think the back seats eliminate a little of the echo of an open cabin, still much quieter.

2 spots by the doors behind the wheelwells I trimmed a bit short, but overall I'm pleased with the result, so far. Will have to see if it holds up to the cargo test, I put it back with industrial locktite spray glue and what was left of the original mastic tape, seems sturdy so far, will have all wkd to cure.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Are you leaving the rear seats out? If so, and you think you might have to carry more than one passenger, you should consider getting some jumper seats! I've thought about doing the same in the back of mine since my Truck is frequently used as a "college party bus". :drunken:

As far to my knowledge I haven't seen anyone do this mod, and I always thought it would be something useful and interesting to do. just an idea though.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts