Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is a knocking sound in the engine... Not always just sometimes, sorta like the valves are ticking... any ideas why , or has anyone else experienced this?

1995.5 Honda Passport
3.2 V-6 4x4

·
Registered
454 Posts
If it's louder from underneath, then your oil may be too thick. On your model, some Isuzu people were adamant about using 5W-30 oil. When I do this, things quieten down a bit.

Some folks here and at the 4x4wire site swear by engine flushing as well.

·
Registered
5,831 Posts
the reccomendation for 5w30 oil. does that come from a southern climate or does it take into consideration winter (and i mean real canadian winter, not pretend california winter)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had that issue in my 95 Passport too. I was told of a few ways to fix it. The first one from Honda/Isuzu was to use 0w-30 oil, that was a waste of money. next was to go to a 50x30 oil. that was a nogo either.
there was only one thing that fixed it, and it was for about 2000 miles only. we put a mix of 50/50 tranny fluid and 0w30 oil in it, ran the engine for about 30 minutes (keep an eye on the temp). then drained it and added 10-30 oil. it ran fine for about 2000 miles, then the noise slowly came back. i talked to the local dealer, it was going to run 1500 for the fix. apperently it is a known issue. there is a part in the engine that is a little loose. So in the long run, there is no cheap or easy fix for this issue.
Hope this sheads some light on what to expect.

·
Registered
327 Posts
RodeoRedBeard said:
the reccomendation for 5w30 oil. does that come from a southern climate or does it take into consideration winter (and i mean real canadian winter, not pretend california winter)
A friend of mine used to run 10W30 (in his S10 Blazer) all year round until he rode to work with me a few times in the winter and noticed how much better my Rodeo (with M1 5W30) started when it was below zero (real below zero, not the pretend metric kind :p ). He had always used 10W30 in his vehicles and never even thought about trying something thinner. He just thought slow starts were something you had to live with being in Upstate NY.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.