Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
627 Posts
Again stating my ignorance of similarity of his and early 95 pasport/rodeo, but if it is no manufacturer ever offered a kick panel enclosure, and I looked pretty darn hard a few years ago.

The ones I have came from another 'zoo user who had posted a very informative thread with pictures showing step by step instructions on how to make your own out of fiberglass. I was just about ready to buy the materials and take on the challenge (it did not look easy) and contacted him with a question and it turned out he'd just blown the rodeo's tranny, would I be interested in the pair in the thread? So I jumped on them, he delivered as promised and though I spent hours getting the glue from hell off that he'd put the vinyl on with to put better matching vinyl on with and upgraded the mount hardware to metal to metal, I was thoroughly pleased. Much more output than any 4" setup, or even 5.25's, no matter how I thought of fitting them.

Yeah it's close to the clutch pedal but there's still a few inches clearance, I don't hit the grill nearly as often as my friends thoughtlessly do in the passenger seat. The nature of kick pods make them more suited for single occupant use though. Imaging is very good, these are Soundstream Exact components I bought in the late 90's when they still made them in the US. Scroll up to the album http://s353.photobucket.com/albums/r384/batvette/passportstereo/ there's about two dozen more photos,including those of the sub box (2 15's, a tad over 4 cu ft sealed)

Exactly matched the angle of the seatback, lost only about half the rear storage. Not bad for 15's, which will spank the output of 12's with the same power input, and that is key since the alternator is just 60a. Took a piece of the vinyl I was using to home depot, they sorta matched the paint, fired up the compressor, filled the binks sprayer and did all the grilles (sub grilles I made) to match. Plastic parts MUST be primed with special primer.
I got rid of the cheesy Sony Xplod amp and use an a/d/s P840 in 4 ch mode (4x120, tightly regulated) now.

That thread on the kickpods is in the archives of this forum somewhere.

·
Registered
627 Posts
BTW if anyone wants a better front stage but isn't up for taking up the "adventures of fiberglass" to build pods, I do have the set of 4" MB Quart mid drivers I had bought and was going to install before I found the pods, and will include some well made aluminum mounting plates (strengthening the flimsy plastic dash mount, they consist of a full plate in front and two half moon pieces on each rear, made of 3/16 alloy plate- I think T6061? and rubber gaskets if anyone is interested. They are NEW, never mounted, just tested in my workshop and then boxed and stored. IIRC the were like $120 list, I paid about $90+ shipping on ebay, make a fair offer if interested. I'd been mulling over listing them on ebay lately.
They are great drivers and will handle a lot of power without breaking up, though not suggested for use with stock system which has too little power. I was going to use them with tweeters mounted in front of them using special alum. brackets, but to do that you must make a lot of relief on the back of the factory grilles, that was a lot of work which I was in the midst of when these pods came my way. I would recommend surface mounting the tweeters elsewhere. I have some sweet a/d/s xovers I had planned on using if interested as well, you can also use the MB Quarts as full range though old guys like me we need lots of treble.

·
Registered
627 Posts
That whole industry took a **** didn't it... I competed in IASCA soundoffs in the late 90's, (southern calif. region) I liked Circuit City's contests as they were generally free from the corruption in judging that was blatant at the smaller, privately owned dealers. Still have their trophies on my shelf.
Picked up a new cell phone at Best Buy on a friday eve a couple weeks back, happened to drive by the install bay, it was empty. Everything's changed.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Car audio died...just plain and simple. The only people that are into it are the ones that were involved earlier. Now it's all about "packages" no one builds a real system anymore in the "retail" world. But the smaller shops around my area are actually doing better because of this. People like me don't really go to the "big box" stores anymore. To chime in on your comment about competitions, Circuit City use to own something like 25% of "Hot Import Nights" I ran a couple booths while working there. Back then...workin at Circuit was awesome ;-)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.