Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have an 01 Rodeo Sport with the 3.2. It started making the most awful rattle/knock. It sounds like its coming from the front of the engine. The sound disappears when RPM's get up above 2500-2700. The engine doesn't seem to run horribly but the noise makes me think of impending doom for our Isuzu. All signs point to Timing Belt Tensioner correct? I drained the oil and didn't notice anything metallic but probably didn't look as closely as I should have. Bear with me because I'm not the most car savvy. How do I get at the tensioner or actuator I suppose in order to check it?

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Pull the wires to the coil for the front spark plug on the passenger side. If the knock changes noticeably then it isn't the tensioner. If the knock stays the same then it probably is.

If the tensioner is bad you may as well do the water pump and timing belt while you are there - a number of articles on this site for what is involved.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I already had planned on doing the water pump, and tensioner, and belt if thats the problem. I was just curious how to get at the actuator so I could see how easily it compresses. Like I said.....not to savvy with engines and whatnot. At least not very experienced. I'll try taking the coil pack off tonight though and see what happens.

·
Registered
555 Posts
jute2003 said:
I already had planned on doing the water pump, and tensioner, and belt if thats the problem. I was just curious how to get at the actuator so I could see how easily it compresses. Like I said.....not to savvy with engines and whatnot. At least not very experienced. I'll try taking the coil pack off tonight though and see what happens.
You will need to drain and remove the radiator. If its an auto,remember there are transmission cooler lines to the radiator as well as coolant lines. You have to take all the belts off,then take the crank pulley off. Ive gotten them lose by jamming a screwdriver in the gear on the flex plate and using a breaker bar and Ive also done it by using a breaker bar on the crank bolt and jamming the breaker bar in the frame ,disconnecting the coil packs and cranking the engine. I then used a gear puller to pull the pulley off.
Once you have that off you can remove the timing covers and get to the tensioner. Its more work than one would like,but not as much as some jobs.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts