1st Gen Trooper restoration1361.90%
Isuzu Pickup Pre-Runner314.29%
2nd Gen Trooper,,,,,,,,,Again14.76%
Hondeley Amduley HOMBRE Pre Runner???14.76%

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Has been in the back of my mind the past couple of weeks: A later model V-6 Amigo / Rodeo sport built primarily for off roading. (locked front & rear, 34" LTB's, "the works"....)

I want back into the Isuzu family. And although I will be a lifelong member here at PI, I feel,,,,,,,,,,,naked -for the lack of a better term-, not having any Isuzu in my drive to tinker with. We wrote a check outright & bought our Envoy so we could put all our regular income into making the monthly house payments & the maintenence tjat goes with the MUCH larger house, allong with the larger Utility bills! lol

Anywooooooo,
Whatever I do, I have to do it on a shoestring budjet. If I had known a year ago my finances would be in proper order a year later, i -Obviously- would have NEEEEVER sold my beloved '94 Trooper.

But as to the present, I have a couple of project ideas I am toying with, and would appreciate your thoughts about these ideas. (And NEW ideas as well! )

Idea#
1) My orriginal love was for the first gen Troopers. So I have been looking for a good buy on one of them. ( Turbo Diesel or V6 only.)
For this vehicle, it would be a complete restoration. Would add custom front & rear bumpers, locked rear, (if possible a limit slip in front) 31" all terrain tires on snowflakes, for the most part stay really close to stock.

2) Building a "Pre Runner" out of a 1988 - 1995 pickup. Swap in a GM 4.3L V6 with a 700R4 & a shift kit. 4.10:1 rear axle with locker or ?G80? rear axle. SOMEHOW buy/fabricate a somewhat longer travel suspension. ( keep in mind, other than trail riding & working some around the farm, this will primarily be a "street truck", NOT a full blown desert racing true pre-runner. Just a look-a-like'r with SOME off road ability. 31x10.50 all terrain tires on black steel rims.

3) Although NOT a TRUE Isuzu (Please dont hate me for this idea) A Hombre pickup, built the same as above.

4) Buy a 1993-1996 ( early Pre-OBDII) 3.2L / MUA-5, Trooper. I allready know every square inch of this generation due to my previous ownership. I learned a lot from my last build, and there is some things I'd like to do different this time around! :lol: Like,,,,,ummmm,,,,, NO BODY LIFT!!!!! :lol: This time I would install the OME912 KIT, do the free 2" TT up front, and mount a set of 255/85/16's on Snowlakes or Mickey Thompson Classic II alluminum rims. Locked rear axle, rock sliders, custom front & rear bumpers. Nothing else would be needed! :lol:

5) Axiom or VX??? Still too expensive for my budjet right now. They May be the next NEXT Isuzu project! ( Hey, allways gotta have a "next thing in line" ) :lol:

6) - you fill in the blank here-

·
Registered
677 Posts
Being in love with the Rodeos/Passports I'm bias toward those and the Amigos. If I were planning to build something primarily for trail use with just a little farm work on the side, my first choice is the Amigo. If I wanted to do SOME farm work, it would be a Rodeo cause they are bigger, yet smaller than the Troopers. Its always been my belief that the smaller the better when planning to drive the trails. I guess its a hold over from the days of driving either a Ford built Army "jeep" and a full blown 6x6 semi through the jungles of Nam behind an ACP that only pushed over the trees and cleared a path (sort of).

I'd leave the Troopers for road work and towing the trail rig to gatherings. Nothing against the Troopers, they are great trucks. I just wouldn't want one for the tails. Too big IMO.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Like probably everyone else, I am heavily biased and really loving my new Rodeo Sport. None of the other models (sorry!) really scream "SPORTY AND FUN" to me like a convertible 4x4! Lift it up, get it ready, then take that top off and go climbing.

Sounds freaking awesome. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts