Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all, I would like to introduce myself. My name is Matt, I am only almost 16 years old but do not let that affect how you view me or my opinions please. I know as much about ISUZU and the auto industry in general as adult automobile enthusiasts. I am a die-hard ISUZU fan for life, and it occupies my mind for hours. How can we save it, what new cars should they add, these questions and others constantly fill my mind. I feel ISUZU is slipping out of my hands and wish I could do something about it, at this rate it doesnt have much longer. My family is the proud owner of a 2003 ISUZU Ascender. I know most of you dont like it or hate it, but we have six people in our family and needed 3 rows of seats, and ample cargo space which the Ascender achieves. I personally would get MYSELF a Rodeo, Trooper, Axiom, or Ascender 5 passenger, but the family needed it so I forced my parents to get it. I am an active member at the forums at www.thecarconnection.com and am known there as being isuzu obsessed. I have tried my best to defend and glorify it, and alot of people there beleive the lying critics and say Isuzu is no good. I do my best to prove them wrong but am all alone. Get in there and defend Isuzu too, and maybe it will start getting some credibility that it deserves. Also search the forums for my posts about ISUZU to get alot of good info and feel free to respond to them. I am happy I found this site and hope to be accepted here. I made the mistake of wandering into an ISUZU car fanpage, boy did i stir them up over there. DONT EVER MENTION GM OR AN ISUZU SUV AT AN ISUZU CAR PAGE. They wont be very happy.
Well i have so much to say and so little time so ill cya later. Go to www.thecarconnection.com its a good site and has very good forums that are active but not too active. Lets revolutionize it into an ISUZU-friendly site. Seems stupid but it'll be good. Looking at a 2000 Rodeo with 4X4/leather/sunroof/TV/DVD as my first car its well priced to at $10,000.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Isuzu doesn't need credibility...it needs marketing, and Isuzu is the only one who can market Isuzu (if GM will let them, that is).
Sorry dude, but you can build the greatest widget in the world and you're crap unless you have a catchy slogan and some good advertising.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Matt- I know what you mean. I've always loved my isuzu products & will support isuzu as best I can. However the numbers don't lie. Check this site: http://www.isuzunewsbureau.com/press.php?action=recent Isuzu sold ony 1800 vehicles for Nov. 2003. It is possible isuzu is gearing it's US business towards small numbers for now just to stay in the game, but you cant stay in business long in that mode. Hopefully isuzu new DI gasoline engine technology will take off & do good things for the company.

G/luck
Joel

·
Registered
558 Posts
when people start making fun of isuzus for duarability i realy have to laugh at them. My first truck was a 1980 chevy luv(i will never get rid of these little beast). If you know much about these its a rebadged Isuzu KB pickup(talk about mini, 106" wheelbase). I think these are the greatest pick ups known to man. The performance is rather unimpresive out of the 1.8L put man its a work horse, ratted payload is 1480lbs but will haul 2000lbs if balenced right(i have done it numorouse times). And talk about off road capable, when it was 100% stock on street tires i was able to get through areas that jeeps couldnt. Now that i have lifted it and have Super Swampers on it, its a rare sight of it stuck or unable to go where i point it. In my off road club i have alot of people rethinking thier die hard chevy attitude becouse they have seen, i hammer my truck harder than they do and it has NEVER failed. Even when Toyotas break my Isuzu dose not. Im realy looking forward to getting my 90 Trooper running well. But anywho back to the subject, when i have the money and am in the market for a new truck, no doubt in my mind my money is going to Isuzu. They just have all my faith and from when i have seen of the other companies, thier rigs just dont have the combination of durability, payload, and enduarnce.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know, i cant beleive ISUZU wont advertise, especially the Ascender. It is the same as the Envoy just many thousands cheaper, more standard features, and a MUCH longer warranty. The 2003 warranty was 3.33X as long. 10 yrs, 120,000 miles. The Isuzu delaers have a 20 month supply of them, so well see them around the dealerships for quite some time. Isuzu should sell cars in Mexico too, ship the Ascenders down there and im sure theyll sell well. Ads in Spanish too to reach our huge hispanic population (I am half hispanic). I dont care if the Rodeo has barely been changed through its 13 year history. Never change a good thing is what they say. Trooper shouldnt have been dropped, its the most SUVy SUV around, and is basically the basis for all SUVs to come after it. A style freshening would have been the smartest choice. The dealers dont even advertise that much.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I love our rucks as much as anybody, and yeah isuzu has done some screwed up things, but you all forget the monetary aspect of everything. The trooper, yeah evreyone loved it and it shouldn't have been dropped, but, it needed to go. They needed to save some cash, and the trooper plant, being the oldest went to the wayside. It was never a huge volume seller here, and it wasn't profitable to ship them over here anymore. ALl in all, it was a money issue. The same with advertising. Isuzu had good advertising in the early 90's and 80s. it sorta stopped about the time they were bringing the new 98 rodeo out. ey screwed that launch up by trying to keep teh redesign a secret. they though they would spring it on the world and everyne would be shocked, well, it didn't work that way. Sales dropped and the red ink started flowing. Since then they did everything they could to stay as little in the red as possible, so advertising was cut. Yeah that cuts out the lifeblood. Then the axiom didn't hit its production goals, and the vehicross never really brought the attention of average joe. Combine all this with a huge recession in Japan, and you got the makings of hard times. It also doesn't help having your design guy go to nissan and run through a couple poresidents. They sold off the twin towers in tokyo, and are trying to regroup. Commercial trucks and engines have been their lifeblood, so they are refocusing there to bulster the bottom line. From what I head, Isuzu Limited (japan) basically cut financial ties withe American Isuzu (US) so that now one can fail and the other technically still exists. Japan is setting up for a complete withdraw of light trucks in america, but the people here aren't giving up yet. Terry Malone in some press release a while ago said 35000 trucks and 500 dealers would be profitable for them, so they can get to that and make moeny, maybe we will see expansion again. Yeah i would be nice to have a real isuzu. Hopefully we get the dmax, or suvs built off of them. We will see. But from expereience here in america, there is some x factor that causes isuzu vehicls to not be bought that much. the hombre had a better warrenty and cheaper than the s-10 but was almost never heard of. I am sure the ascender is gonna be the same way. There is something about it that has always caused consumers not to buy them. Are they not aimed at the right people? DOn't know, but I have always firmly believed it ahs to do with the name isuzu. People can't pronounce it and I think that scares a lot of people off. anyway, that's my rant.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I think part of the problem is advertising but also people look at the Rodeo or other vehicles in the Isuzu line and compared to the competition they are inferior. Quality of interior materials and feel of the car are important to most consumers. That and the poor ratings in magazines like Consumer Reports don't help sales either. I'm a recent owner of a '96 Rodeo and after doing some repairs on it myself I found myself thinking on more than one occassion "Why did they do that?" when looking at how things were put together. No offense but I've had Toyotas and they were quite a bit easier to work on than this vehicle is in many respects plus there is loads of aftermarket support for Toyota trucks and SUVs. Resale value is also very poor on Isuzu vehicles and with increasing competition from companies like, shudder, Hyundai it really isn't surprising that Isuzu is in the situation they find themselves in now.

Most people don't want another plain jane SUV. They want a vehicle that says look at me, I'm money. Not a vehicle that says I saved $50/month because I chose this vehicle.

·
Registered
558 Posts
i realy think that there arent enough people who whant an "expidition geared" SUV. That meaning a rugged reliable cheap suv that will go where you point and climb mountains. For me thats what i live for, but in this respect Isuzu gets killed by Land Rover becouse they are capable and have refinement. I think isuzu was better off whith just a pick-up and the trooper. I think they would save money as they are both the same platform and have more money to invest into macking a luxury modle of the trooper to hit a broader market. But hopefull GM keeps em afloat by using thier deisels...

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What they need to do is advertise. Its that simple. But not just any advertisement. This has to be a very populare ad such as the "Joe Isuzu" ads were. They need to catch peoples minds and get the name isuzu out there. Many people do not know about it. Here are my ideas for ads that may work. Ive always been interested in advertising and may pursue that courrer in the future. If Isuzu must go down, i dont want it to gently slip out of the US, If it goes down i want it to go down in flames that forever burn the name ISUZU into the minds of Americans.

AD #1-

This ad would play on the name isuzu, and how many people pronounce it wrong. In fact, the whole commercial would be people saying names like "isusu", "suizu", 'izusu", "usuzu" ect, and the all too common "izuzu". Thats the most common one. I must correct my mom all the time on that one. It would end with them correcting with "isuzu" and repeating that over and over again with pictures of Isuzu vehicles flashing in the backround. Quick and concise, and maybe it will have the affect of mazda's "zoom, zoom" commercials. These commercials have to get people talking about them.

AD #2-

This ad might ruffle some peoples feathers, mainly anti-SUV activists. It starts with an anti-SUV protest with people waving signs and yelling and things. A Arianna Huffington (that crazy antiSUV anti-pollution lady that ran for governer) lookalike would be leading them on, and then a large group of ISUZU SUVs appraoches the protest. The windows roll down and that cheesy "Why cant we be friends" song plays. Arianna and the others throw down their signs and go with the Isuzus. Cheesy, but it may work if played on the right channels such as the news channels where Arianna Huffignton and antiSUV groups are well known by the viewers. If Arriana sues, good! Free advertising for the ISUZU name. It would be all over the news networks, in newspapers and magazines, all for free. What is there to lose. If there was a suit she probably wouldnt win because c'mon they do stuf where they impersonate people all the time on TV. And if the Earth Liberation Front starts attacking ISUZU dealerships like they did the Hummer ones, good to beacause then ISUZU can sue them for big $$$$ and more and more free advertising in the press.

AD #3-

This is the heart grabber. It dwells on the fact that GM has destroyed isuzu and is ending the jobs of many Americans. You may know how they destroyed them or not, but they did. Theres a timeline about how GM did it and i'll include it at the bottom of this post. They wouldnt let isuzu advertise, wouldnt allow them to sell cars anymore and many other things. Its horrible. The ad would end with "shame on you, GM". Of course, this would air after ISUZU cut all ties with GM by 2006 or 2007, and would also focus on how GM forbade them from publicizing this "mass injustices" and "greedy business techniques". This could also stir up some controversy, and may spread through the media, and will make GM mad haha.

HOW GM UNFAIRLY DESTROYED ISUZU TIMELINE-
1971, General Motors Corporation buys 32.4% of Isuzu and subcontracts them to make Chevy Luv pickup trucks.
1981, against the direct protest of General Motors, Isuzu puts the Piazza and Impulse into production, embarrassing GM because the newly redesigned Camaro and Trans Am pale in comparison to the Giugiaro designed sports coupe. This begins GM's vendetta against Isuzu.
1984, GM begins reselling rebadged Geminis under the Spectrum name, but, as a condition of the arrangement, restricts Isuzu's rights to advertise their own cars in the US and European markets and imposes quotas on the number of vehicles Isuzu can sell. This effectively destroyes any chance for Isuzu to build brand consciousness, brand loyalty, and a reputation as a car builder, in all markets outside Japan.
1989, GM begins reselling rebadged Gemini Coupes under the Storm name. This vehicle outsells GM's own domestically produced Cavalier, Sunbird, Corsica, and Beretta, combined, causing great embarrassment for GM.
1994, GM discontinues their Storm model, eliminating close to 95% of Isuzu sales of cars leaving Isuzu with weak name recognition and little hope of recovering from this financial blow. This combines with the collapse of the Japanese economy after Isuzu went up market to more luxurious and more expensive models with their 1990-93 redesign of their cars, and Isuzu decided to discontinue car sales.
1994, Isuzu constructs a shrine to the much missed Gemini car in their Fujisawa plant.
~1998, Isuzu attempts to purchase then financially troubled Nissan Motor Company in order to acquire a name and a company to build passenger cars under.
1999, GM acquires 49% of Isuzu, controlling interest, but due to Japanese laws restricting foreign ownership of Japanese corporations and Japanese labor laws which strictly follow seniority, GM is unable to appoint an American to head Isuzu and must continue to deal with Isuzu management's continued resistance to GM domination.
2001, Isuzu lays off 25% of their international work force due to financial losses and ailing sales.
2002, Isuzu negotiates a $84 million debt restructure with it's Japanese bank and buys 37% ownership back from GM, reducing GM's ownership of Isuzu to 12%. As part of the restructuring, Isuzu sells the Lafayette, Indiana plant to Fuji Heavy Industries (Subaru), withdrawing completely from their joint SUV venture with GM. The GM built Trailblazer set to be rebadged as an Isuzu Ascender seems all but dead on arrival as Isuzu plans for production of their own SUVs in Thailand.
2003, Isuzu finds itself in the enviable position of being one of only three commercial truck producers in Japan who is selling diesel trucks that comply with the new, strict emissions laws for the Tokyo metropolitan area, which require particle scrubbers for exhaust. The law outlaws the use of trucks without these devices in and around the four prefectures surrounding Tokyo, and as no aftermarket retrofit is available, truck operators are required to buy new trucks. Mazda, unable to develop a commercial truck that complies with the new emissions laws, subcontracts all it's commercial truck production to Isuzu. Isuzu leads commercial truck sales in Japan and shows a profit for the first half of 2003 for the first time in decades. Isuzu's stock showed a 400% increase in value (from 50 yen/share to 200 yen/share).
2003, Isuzu releases rendered images of what they call "a sports coupe" which is described to be in the vane of such noted Isuzu cars as the Bellett 1600GTR and the Giugiaro designed 117 Coupe.
2003, Sources within American Isuzu Motors (US market vehicle distributor) indicate that Isuzu intends to severe all ties with GM by 2007, ending all joint ventures, rebadging, parts sharing, and cooperative efforts and purchasing back all of the remaining 12% of stock owned by GM. The Rodeo and Axiom (now made by Subaru at the Lafayette, Indiana plant) will be discontinued at or shortly after the end of the 2004 model year. There will be no serious effort to market the GM made Ascender through the 2005 and 2006 model years, after which Isuzu's contract to sell that vehicle will end. Isuzu plans to introduce at least two completely new models in late 2006, totally designed and manufactured by Isuzu and with no ties to GM.
The concept drawing released by Isuzu and the written statement that accompanied it indicate the new Sports Coupe is to compete with such Japanese piers as the Honda Integra (Acura RSX in the US) and Toyota Celica, both considered the dominant specialty small cars in the Japanese domestic market.
Isuzu appears back on track to build cars.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I wish Isuzu never had any ties to GM. Personally, I hate GM cars and trucks. They suck and I cringe at the thought of GM parts in my Rodeo...

I think the Rodeo/Passport was a fairly successful vehicle for Isuzu. I see quite a lot of them on the road. Too bad the resale value is so poor.

·
Registered
558 Posts
i have friends whith S-10s and they have problems being used as work trucks. My dad had an s-10 and when he tryed using it like he did the old LUV (whish is now my pride and joy) it wouldnt hack it. The 1.8L in the LUV is a pig on paper but man will it work, its 100 times the motor the 2.8 GM will ever be that was in our s-10. GM dosnt realy impress me. I love my isuzu and my ford isnt bad either

·
Registered
80 Posts
Matt...nice ideas.
and it's nice to see that y'all feel the same way i do about GM. does anybody remember that "different kind of car company" from the early '90s? GM is doing a nice hack-job on that one, too.

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
amen, i'll put my isuzu 2.6 efi up againt any gm made 2.8 v6

·
Registered
80 Posts
Me? I just like older cars. No matter how bigger a pain in my a**e this Trooper becomes, I am never going to get rid of it. Money pit or not. Isuzu rock and if nobody out there knows then maybe it's up to people like us to tell them??

Cris

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.