Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a '92 Amigo soft top and you're just NOT going to believe this!
It rained in Tampa today like a horse pis*ing on a flat rock and my top leaked!
Imagine that!
but...I think I came up with a "cracker" way to fix it:
I'm going to get some marine grade clear silicone sealant(3M) and use it on the seam at the rubber part
that attaches to the body...you know that funny shaped gasket that everybody needs a new one of!
Any thoughts?

·
Registered
677 Posts
That's some pretty good stuff. Trouble is you'll catch HE double hokey sticks getting it off if you ever replace the gasket.

·
Registered
676 Posts
I agree with Johnnie, it'll work great...till you decide to replace the gasket.

Is the gasket rubber? If so why not go to your local parts house and get a sheet of gasket material and make your own. It won't be "perfect" but if it works who cares lol?

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
8) OK...here's the deal. I know it will be difficult to get off WHEN the time comes.
I've got to get through the Florida "monsoon season" though!
I plan on using the flexible clear stuff that will probably give me the short term seal that I need!
I don't plan to be taking the top off, but
...I am looking for a way to just roll up the back and sides and have what would be a "bikini" top.
In the Florida sun that would make it cooler AT TIMES and be kinda' fun!
I will be adding a hardtop as soon as it is available...I've got a line on a good one!
I think if I'm careful with the application of the seal I can keep the water out AND get it off when the time comes.
The problem with making a gasket is that the rubber(female) piece that is on the body side is shaped to accept
a piece(male) on the soft top. The intent is that one snaps into the other to form a seal.

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
I'll bet if you put a whole caulking gun tube of silicone on it that it will still leak. Silicone caulk just doesn't work worth a hoot for that kind of stuff. Why not just get the right gasket and be done with it. Use 3M weather strip adhesive to install it.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
...where might one get the right gasket that goes on the body side?
"... the rubber(female) piece that is on the body side is shaped to accept
a piece(male) on the soft top. The intent is that one snaps into the other to form a seal."
splain that!?

·
Registered
5,980 Posts
Just take your top off and rip out all the carpet and paint the floor with something durable. Then drill a couple drainage holes in the ground for the water when it rains Thats what I did and everything is good.....so far :D

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
8) here's the deal with that...sometimes SHE rides with me and...well you know that story!
Seriously I thought about rhino liner in place of the factory liner that's REAL shabby!

·
Registered
677 Posts
I've used that stuff on a few things and trust me, you will cuss the day you put it on when its time to get it off. You'll need to spread enough of it to cover an area much larger than a leak to get it to work. Then if we get another day like today with rain pouring from the sky all day and half the night, it will still leak.

I'm not telling you not to, just warning you that patching that rubber seal is not going to be a simple quick fix. PM Jerry here at the planet. He may have a new seal at a reasonable price. Grandda always said, if its worth doing, do it right.

·
Registered
555 Posts
ebgbz said:
...where might one get the right gasket that goes on the body side?
"... the rubber(female) piece that is on the body side is shaped to accept
a piece(male) on the soft top. The intent is that one snaps into the other to form a seal."
splain that!?
have you tried your local isuzu service center. The are still around,you can find your nearest one on www.isuzu.com. I have to drive about 20 minutes to get to mine,but they are still there. They are a Subaru dealership that I assume used to sell Isuzus.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts