Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The paint is in bad shape. There's rust on the back door. It has an exhaust leak near the manifold. It starts really rough, but once it warms up, it runs OK (I'm thinking fuel pressure regulator). And dispite all the things wrong with it, I'm more excitied about it than any car I've ever owned.

*edited for smaller pictures

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Odds are your manifold(s) are cracked -- this is a common problem with the 2.8. Take a flashlight and examine them very carefully from one end to the other and you might make a discovery.

Nice looking Trooper 8)

Cheers,

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I took it to a local shop to see what they thought and they thought manifold as well, but they can't find a manifold for it from their parts people. To fix the exhaust problem, which they say is only one manifold and the pipes back to the cat/conv $900 and that's before the cost of the manifold. For now, it will just have to be loud. Half of the manifold bolts are rusted beyond recognition, but I've wanted one of these since I first saw one.

Do you know if the Chevy manifolds will fit the 2.8? The shop said they won't put on a used manifold.

·
Registered
140 Posts
:?: UGLY???? It's Beautiful!

I love these first-gen Troopers!

She's purty

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
dq386 said:
I took it to a local shop
Bah!

Your 'local shop' people are morons. They are AC Delco/GM manifolds :evil:

I swear I just get :x when people see an ISUZU and get the 'deer in the headlights stare'.

For brand new manifolds (and don't forget to order new bolts and tell them to include several with the threaded accessory extensions), go here:

http://isuzu.stcharlesauto.com/frameset ... department

Now, it's been so long since I replaced mine, I don't remember exactly how much it was but $250 sounds about right and that includes shipping.

I replaced them myself, but you may have to farm the job out which, if you can find an engine shop that knows the Chevy 60 degree V6 family of engines ( 2.8, 3.1, 4.3, etc.) they should be able to switch them out in just a few hours.

As to exhaust, any halfway decent custom shop should be able to refurb you for no more than $300-500 depending on cat and muffler choices.

When I had mine done, I had the guys install 2.25 diameter pipes, freeflow cat, and a Flowmaster 40 and the bill was right around $330.

So, using my creative math, you should be looking at more likely $600-700 total unless you take in stages and do the manifolds first, then later get the exhaust refurbbed.

Oh, and you should also get the O2 sensor replaced when the exhaust is refurbbed, order that from St. Charles as well.

Good Luck, and stay far away from that 'local shop' :roll:

Cheers,

·
Registered
41 Posts
dq386 said:
The paint is in bad shape. There's rust on the back door. It has an exhaust leak near the manifold. It starts really rough, but once it warms up, it runs OK (I'm thinking fuel pressure regulator). And dispite all the things wrong with it, I'm more excitied about it than any car I've ever owned.

*edited for smaller pictures
dude! im from florida and recently took a road trip up to virginia. we stopped off in south carolina. and i remember taking my brother down to the local ymca. and i passed by that trooper! your trooper. the exact same one, cause i was in mine (mica green 2001) and i looked at yours for like a couple minutes.

and i remember saying. whoa that's a cool trooper. duuude! freaking awesome!

·
Registered
83 Posts
i can see another problem :shock: They went and put yer steerin wheel on the wrong side of the car!! :wink:

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey Safari, that's cool; you saw it in person! It's funny, but I saw a 1st gen on the road the other day and waved at the guy and he waved back. I felt a brotherhood of Troopership. So, whenever I see a Trooper, I flash my lights and the funny thing is, they usually flash back, which to me means, they're looking too. Were you at a Grocery store when you saw it? I do remember seeing a sweet Trooper, metallic green, with nerf bars and it was so nice looking.

Troopers are so great. Whoever designed the layout and back door configuration is a genius. I'm at the beach the other day with three surfboards on top, two inside, a 96 quart cooler and fishing rods and there was still room to spare - ahhh. I swear it has more usable space than any SUV I've seen.

·
Registered
41 Posts
i went to a grocery store to get some food. i remember parking next to a land rover discovery (i had bigger tires and more mud :D) i dont know if its the same trooper you saw. my troop is on the pictures page here. and it has its titled: 01 Trooper on old tires [update: new tires!]

so yeah, dude. ill do that next time i see a trooper. there aren't many here in my part of florida. but i do so quite a bit over some period of time.

To the TROOPER BROTHERHOOD!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
wildcat said:
TROOPER UGLY?!?!
Hardley this is ugly
What in heavens name is that?

I went to see how much it would cost to paint my Trooper white and wow, getting a nice paint job is expensive, but from what I was told, I would be very dissapointed with a cheap paint job. But no matter how bad mine looks, it's better looking than that... thing?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Looks like it was a first gen RX-7 that someone took the ricer look a lillt to far with.

As for painting ur Trooper wait until they are repainting the lines on the road and park in the middle of the street. Voila! Free racing stripes! :D

·
Registered
823 Posts
Fiat

And yes, uglier than sin...I would rather be seen in a *eep

Chase

·
Registered
265 Posts
haha i have to sit here and laugh, with both my babie sin view form my window, they get along just fine, why cant people?

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
:D kools cool to me 8) recon

·
Registered
8,605 Posts
Another 6yr old thread and he hasn't posted since 06'

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.