Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I'm in the market to buy an isuzu trooper with a built in V6 3.5 Honda motor 4x4. Should I buy?

·
Registered
11,763 Posts
Hello I'm in the market to buy an isuzu trooper with a built in V6 3.5 Honda motor 4x4. Should I buy?
The 3.5L engine installed in 98-02 Trooper is actually manufactured by Isuzu. The Acura SLX is a re-badged Isuzu Trooper. The 02 and older Honda Passport is a re-badged Isuzu Rodeo. The 3.5L engine is basically a stroked version of the 98-04 Rodeo 3.2L. If you by the Trooper you can still get a lot of parts from online Acura/Honda dealers. Be aware, that the 98-02 Trooper 3.5L engines with a lot of miles on them typically burn a lot of oil.

·
Registered
4,324 Posts
Just a word of warning, DO NOT buy a Gen 2 Trooper with an automatic. The GM 4L30E transmission used in V6 Troopers is not heavy-duty enough for the weight and power of the vehicle. Lots of trouble with that transmission and quite expensive to replace. Just take a look at Craigslist or other ad sites and see how many Gen 2 Troopers there are for sale cheap. Most of them are ones with bad automatic transmissions.

Now, if you were to find a Trooper that just had the transmission rebuilt, and had a good transferrable warranty on the trans, maybe ok. But you're just tossing the dice if buying one that has the original, untouched automatic.

If you can find a 5-speed manual, they're a great rig. As Buster was saying, watch out for early 3.5's as they can be oil-burners due to poor piston design and lack of EGR maintenance. Later models with upgraded piston design have a screw-in-type PCV valve; older ones do not.

Reactions: LTC Don
1 - 4 of 4 Posts