Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 1994 Trooper that is stumbling when I try to accelerate. Its like its not getting enough fuel. Eventually (after a few long seconds) it finally catches and sputters and goes. Its getting worse though. Longer stumbling and less power while cruising. I've changed:
1. spark plugs, wires, coil packs
2. air temp sensor, O2 sensor, map sensor, throttle pos sensor
3. Ive even exchanged ECM with another

Anyone have any ideas of where to go next?

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
Sounds like fuel delivery to me. Might just be a clogged fuel filter. I hope it isnt since you already changed all those parts.

Maybe dying fuel pump as well. How long has it been doing this?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I forgot to mention that i changed the fuel fliter as well. I am considering a dying fuel pump. I never had a fuel pump (in other vehicles) that died slowly. They usually just went out one day and never came back.

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
Could also be the pickup screen on the pump getting clogged up. Best bet would be to pull it and inspect. My fuel pump died kind of suddenly but it did a few warning signs like stumbling on take off etc but not for several months.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll check the fuel pump next, and get a compression check. Do you think it could be the fuel pressure regulator?

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
colbyfriend said:
I'll check the fuel pump next, and get a compression check. Do you think it could be the fuel pressure regulator?
Sure, or clogged injector(s) too but that would be later on the list for me. Sure sounds like you ruled out most anything that could be ignition related.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Its Fixed! And the culprit was...wait for it...bad plug wires! Yes, they were brand new, and still bad! That hurts. My instinct was ignition problem, but after you change the plugs, wires, and coil packs with no change you've got to move on right? Damn, I just replaced just about every sensor in the trooper. Now if I could just fix the cruise control. Any thoughts on that?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Forgot to add that I did a compression check on my engine with over 218,000 miles and every cylinder was 180 +. Troopers are awesome.

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
What brand were the plug wires?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I don't know what brand exactly. I got them from napa, is that the brand? Theyre in the garbage now. They did have lifetime warranty.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts