Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I recently purchased euro version 1997 isuzu trooper 3.1D intercooler! 4JG2 motor.
It needs a little bit of work and I’m excited to get it into shape to use it as an everyday driver.

the first thing I want to address is the alternator - it only puts out 12 volts.
I would like to replace it.
Does anyone know where I can purchase a fitting alternator? I assume it’s not the same set up as the gas trooper from the same year.

I will post some photos of the car in a week or two.

·
Super Moderator
2,863 Posts
The alternator is different from all gas versions. It has a vacuum pump on the back for your brakes, since diesel engines do not produce vacuum.
That alternator is fairly easy to repair. Could be as simple as worn brushes.

Reactions: JoeIsuzu

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you Mudolilngears!

i will look into repairing it as soon as I pull it out. Do you know if the removal of the alternator is tricky? Seems like I can get to it fairly easily via wheel well.

·
Registered
Original owner, 1983 P'up LS (diesel)
2,905 Posts
Thank you Mudolilngears!

i will look into repairing it as soon as I pull it out. Do you know if the removal of the alternator is tricky? Seems like I can get to it fairly easily via wheel well.
If you decide to change the brushes, you may be able to do it without removing the alternator. I replaced mine on my C223 diesel without removing it.

·
Super Moderator
2,863 Posts
If you decide to change the brushes, you may be able to do it without removing the alternator. I replaced mine on my C223 diesel without removing it.
These are not accesible from the outside unfortunately. I believe the older diesels use a Bosch pad mount regulator/brush holder.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts