Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this over on 4x4wire, but thought I might get more responses here:

Just wondering if anyone has dealt with anything like this:

I went to the dealership to get the 60k mile tuneup. While it was in for service, the dealership performed a ABS recall on my Amigo - without asking me first. Had they asked me, I would have told them not to do it for the time being since I was having no problems with the ABS. So I go back to pick it up and they tell me they did the work. I was a little annoyed, but the work was already completed so I didn't think that much about it.

On the way home, I notice that when I lightly brake (like to slow down as you approach a redlight) the ABS was firing. I could feel it in the pedal and I could hear it actuating. So as you can imagine, I get pi$$ed and go back to the dealership. They tell me that they were instructed by Isuzu to do the work and that they did not need my permission to do it. I asked them who had the title to my vehicle and explained to them that it was mine to decide what needed to be done. To make a long story short, they looked at it and said that the ABS sensor was messed up and needed to be replaced - they offered to fix it for free if I would buy the $200 worth of parts... how generous. I told them no thx.

So I get the number to the Isuzu Corporate Customer Service and give them a call. Right of the bat the guy (Mario something) is extremely rude, wouldn't let me finish my sentences, kept interupting me, etc. Then he also tells me that they have a "right" to do the recalls without my permission. I spend the next 30 minutes telling my story and arguing with the bastard. At the end, I ask to speak to someone higher than him and he says that he is it. All he can do is enter in a "trouble ticket" to document the conversation. I ask him what that will help and he actually told me it wouldn't help me at all. Finally, he hangs up on me without entering a ticket and now he will not answer my calls. He is the only rep available to the Southeast. So I get a number from a cali dealership and call them. The rep in California tells me that I just need to keep trying to contact Mario because he is not allowed to help me.

Finally I just gave up disgusted. I'd love to catch this guy alone in a dark alley, but that isn't going to happen either. So what should I do???

·
Registered
11,467 Posts
Not much you can do about it but either live with the problem or get the sensor replaced. They have to do any recalls that are outstanding when the vehicle is there if it comes up when they enter it in the computer. If they dont and something happens then they are liable. When I bought my rodeo I found out that the ABS recall hadnt been done. Even though everything seemed to be working properly I took it in to have it done.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've always owned Nissans until now and this is the first time I have not been given a choice. See, the thing is that the sensor was working with the old ABS module, once they put in the new one, which the dealer said was more sensitive, i started setting off the ABS all the time. I just live with it, but it still makes me mad. Plus how there is only one person you can go to with complaints - that Mario guy is on a power trip.

·
Registered
91 Posts
In my opinion, and please bear in mind that I'm from England where consumer law is probably very different, you're barking up the wrong tree.

If the dealership has done a recall, there must have been a fault or possibility of one.

The people who have f*cked up aren't Isuzu but the dealers for fitting a "messed up ABS sensor". If I was you, I'd march right back down there &:

1. Tell them that they've fitted a defective part, therefore it's their duty to supply and fit a proper one free of charge (that's the law here)
2. Insist that , at future services, you are informed in advance (i.e. at the time of booking the service) of any outstanding recall notices applicable to your vehicle.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.