Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
isuzu rodeo dana 44 compared to isuzu 12 bolt.i am eventually going to sas my truck
one day. 5:38 gears for 12 bolts be gone forever when the current suply runs out.i am considering dana 44 rodeo rear
and wagoneer dana 44 front.the advantage of this set up is more locker and gearing
aftermarket stuff is easier and less expensive.my question is will a rear 44 from
rodeo handle 35 inch tires with 5:13 or 5:38 gears with front and rear aussie lockers 8) recon

·
Registered
13,615 Posts
I'm really impressed with the isuzu 12 bolt just as big as a ford 9 in.
Have the next generation amigo now I've done some research on them. When I put the wagonere 44 in the front incompared parts. Also found out that jeep super 44's have the same thick cut gears as the isuzu, same bearings to. Just different spline for the yoke. I compared axle splines on the front and isuzu rear and there the same. I then called the bearing parts house to see if I could get bearings to be able to put the bigger pinion into the front axle and it is possible. So I'm guessing that you could use a series 3 carrier put of a normal 44 axle put the isuzu ring gear on it and have way more locker options.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
A Stock D44 will last no problem with 35's and an open center section. It will also last if locked up as long as you don't let it wheel hop severely or in the case of the front axle go full power when in full steering lock.

If you want to be able to beat on it then your going to want some better axle shaft which, like you said, are very easy to get from dozens of suppliers.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
I've got a 12 bolt 5.38 for that rear axle of yours! If you want it let me know.

·
Registered
634 Posts
I would go Rodeo D44. With the 4banger you could conceivably go up to 37s with a locker and be fine IMO.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts