Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

//I hope you will understand me, because my English is not so good as yours, but I still learn this language ;) So I would apologize you for any linguistic errors.//

I have Opel Frontera 3.2 V6 '2000 with Liquefied Petroleum Gas installation (same engine and control unit as Rodeo 3.2 V6) and I have a problem with diagnose this car. Engine is a little bit Shaking on Idle as in the case of loss of compression on one of six engine cylinder (on petrol and on LPG too), but when I accelerate for example from 25 to higher speed at 5th gear there is no parpable shaking, so I think that compression is O.K*. I checked ignition coils, spark plugs, lambda, flowmeter, air filter, throttle position sensor (all are O.K.), and OBD trouble codes (with ELM327 interface). On OBD i have the following codes: randomly indicate P0171**, or P0174*** only when engine work on LPG. LPG installation is configured correctly by authorized Service. What should I check now? Maybe catalyst is cram-full?

ps. Mileage of this car is ca 290000km (180197 miles) on petrol, and 10000km (6213 miles) on LPG.

*I have other car with loss compression (20%) in one of 4 cylinder and i feel shaking on idle and when I drive at low RPM too.

**System Too Lean (Bank 1)

*** System too Lean (Bank 2)

·
Registered
11,922 Posts
P0171 and P0174 indicate the fuel mixture is too lean when on LPG, you may have burned a valve or melted down a catalytic converter. I recommend you run a compression test and a catalytic converter pressure test.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
SOHC I changed timing belt 10000 km ago, but i'm affraid that he could jump on the timing wheel? When I return of garage (probably i'll be back with outcome of the engine review on next week) i will tell You obout timing belt, normal compression test and possibly compression test with oil to check sealing rings. I pray that the valve was not burned...
Buster28 What i could do the catalytic converter pressure test? There is a special method or tool? Some kind of manometer, but with what range of measure? From 1 to 8 bar is adequate? How big pressure should be in exhaust system before catalytic converter?

ps. Sorry, I know that I ask a lot of questions ;)

·
Banned
198 Posts
Onkel said:
SOHC I changed timing belt 10000 km ago, but i'm affraid that he could jump on the timing wheel? When I return of garage (probably i'll be back with outcome of the engine review on next week) i will tell You obout normal compression test and possibly compression test with oil to check sealing rings.
Buster28 What i could do the catalytic converter pressure test? There is a special method or tool? Some kind of manometer, but with what range of measure? From 1 to 8 bar is adequate? How big pressure should be in exhaust system before catalytic converter?

ps. Sorry, I know that I ask a lot of questions ;)
What was replaced during the belt job?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sohc said:
What was replaced during the belt job?
I replaced timing belt, water pump, leading roller and tension roller.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
you're right :oops: So... how can I check hydraulic tensioner whether it works correctly? Is any symptom of wrong work this part which I can to see? Don't know - larger range of motion or any clearance?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sohc said:
I would pull both top timing covers and rotate the crank to see if all three marks line up. Normally if you can push the tensioner rod in by hand then its bad. 180K on a tensioner, it should be bad.
Tensioner was replaced 60k miles/two years ago... I hope it not so bad as I think. In my country is a proverb: "crafty loses twice".

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I mean I replaced tensioner 60k miles ago - that was 2 years ago. Sorry for misunderstanding ;)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sohc said:
Start the vehicle, pop the hood and blip the throttle plate fast. Does it sound like it backfires through the intake?
No, I can't hear any backfires (if I understood you well backfires is when fire from cylinder goes back to the throttle). I hear only loudest noise from throttle when fast reduce engine speed from for example 4500RPM, with no load, with 0% throttle position. There is a sound like lord Vader breath. I hear from somebody, that this may be symptom of problem with catalyst converter in V6 ISUZU engine (reduced flowrate on exhaust system)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for good idea ;) When i checked tension belt and kitteh I will write here about it and I hope this should be end of my problems with engine.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts