Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This would have been a sweet truck.

(i can get high res wallpapers for these photos if you would like, PM me)

The recently unveiled showcar-only Jack8, much like the plush VT Sandman, won't go into production, but was instead created to grab people's attention - and that it does in spades.

Holden took a garden-variety Jackaroo and basically tweaked it. A lot. Gone is the 158kW 3.5-litre V6, and in its place is the trusty all-alloy Generation III V8 mill.

But rather than just throw in one of the 225 or 235kW low-tune eight-cylinder engines, Holden decided to endow its desert-dueler with a somewhat fettled Gen III mill.

It gets a specific radiator and air cleaner, allowing for a greater intake of air and, together with side-exit twin exhausts (with custom-built extractors and high-flow cats), the engine makes a very healthy 255kW of power.

Add AP racing brakes, a long range 140-litre fuel tank, aluminium underbody bash plates and an extra heavy duty suspension setup to the package and you've got quite a tempting little bush-basher on your hands.

But the fun doesn't end there. The wild Jack8 concept is also endowed with a rather full-on stereo system, comprising of a 1680 Watt premium audio system, complete with CB radio and a dash-mounted GPS system.

The Jack8's premium MP3-compatible nine-speaker audio setup comes complete with a multi-colour illuminated video display, pulsing blue-light subwoofer and three 560W amplifiers, for good measure.

The multi-function GPS system makes use of a route retracing 'breadcrumbing' facility, pinpoint screen mapping to half-a-kilometre and a flux compass to keep the off-roader on course in the most challenging conditions.

Other changes over the standard Jackaroo include the bold styling, which includes the revamped rear, with its topless two-door approach.

The body is raised 50mm above the chassis; a roll cage replaces the roof, and the rear end has been 'tubbed'. Inside, any semblance of Jackaroo is gone, replaced with the luxury seats from the Monaro for a more sophisticated 'auto-show' look.

The Jack8 is fairly lightweight machine, according to Holden reps, which sits on 16-inch alloy wheels, shod with huge Mickey Thompson "Baja Claw" tyres (the spare on its fastback roll cage).

To top it all off, there is a Momo sports steering wheel, Monza alloy pedals and a practical rubber floor and side trim.

While Holden is the first to admit this is a fully engineered vehicle, which is in fact street legal to drive, Holden's marketing manager for large cars, Simon Carr, said the Australian car-maker has no plans to release it as a production model.

"Having said that, there is serious intent behind the exercise. The Jack8 gives a tangible demonstration to four-wheel drive and recreational vehicle buyers that Holden really means to make its presence felt in this market," he said.

"We'll be taking it right to those buyers at four-wheel drive vehicle shows and field days around the country to gauge reactions and evaluate their responses to this kind of vehicle.

"It's a market research exercise that also happens to be a lot of fun," Mr Carr concluded.

The extreme styling seen on the Jack8 is largely the work of young Holden Design team member Warrack Leach, who took his inspiration from open top, off-road V8 desert racers.

Even so, with the huge popularity surge in the states over the now publicly available Hummer H2, would such a design be unpopular in Australia?

We don't think so. In fact, with the current trend of 4WDs selling their proverbial butts off, we reckon that rolling down the trendiest part of town in a Holden V8 the size of a house would be quite appealing for some. The head-turning factor alone would sell the car.

It's never a forgone conclusion when a car-maker indicates a concept is not for production, but for now, the Jack8 proves that Holden is well and truly intent on making an impact in the lucrative 4WD segment.

The Cruze was phase one of Holden's all-wheel drive onslaught, the Jack8 concept is number two, and soon the king-cab, lifestyle-oriented Cross8 will mark phase three, along with a 4WD version of the humble Commodore. And who knows, maybe all Commodore's in 2020 will 4WD. Stranger things have happened...

But don't think that Ford is going to sit by and let its arch nemesis take a psychological lead, however great or small. Expect return fire from FoMoCo in the coming months, concerning the Ford R7.

Jack8 Features:

Body
Body raised 50mm above chassis
Roof removed from windscreen and above window line
Front doors extended 200mm
Rear door reconfigured, section filled and side intrusion strengthened
New rear section

Engine and Transmission
Driveline Gen III 255kW 5.7 litre V8
Electronic control 4-speed automatic transmission
Recalibrated Power Control Module

Exhaust
High performance twin pipe system
Custom built extractors
Custom built high flow catalytic converters

Wheels and Tyres
Mickey Thompson ‘Baja Claw’ tyres
CSA Scorpion 16x8-inch wheels

Suspension
Endurance rated shock absorbers
Heavy duty front torsion bars and extended rear springs

Brakes
AP racing brakes with 330mm x 26mm grooved and cross-drilled rotors, front and rear
Four piston black calipers, front and rear

Audio System
JVC
Changer Control CD Receiver, MP3 compatible, multi-bit resolution
Three 2-channel amps, each with 560W output
16cm multipoint/split speakers â€" 150W, two sets of four
30cm subwoofer â€" 500W, with self-generating blue illumination

GPS
GPSMAP 176C
12 parallel channel GPS receiver continuously tracks and uses up to 12 satellites to compute and update vehicle position

CB
Super compact UHF transceiver and scanner
40 CB channels, 40 channel programmable wide band scanner

Colour
Shanghai - deep red metallic with a tinted top coat[/img]

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
ME WANTZ!

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
677 Posts
No Fair! I want that truck! I'll settle for a truck that is even close to being as cool as that... Just add hand controls and I'd be happy as a pig in doo doo.

Why does Australia have all the cool stuff? :cry:

And don't tell me its not for production. You throw enough money at Holden and I gar run tee they build you one...

·
Registered
2,442 Posts

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
johnnie59 said:
No Fair! I want that truck! I'll settle for a truck that is even close to being as cool as that... Just add hand controls and I'd be happy as a pig in doo doo.

Why does Australia have all the cool stuff? :cry:

And don't tell me its not for production. You throw enough money at Holden and I gar run tee they build you one...
No, they never produce it :lol:

But they did produce this :

The concept should be from that old Bighorn.

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
and hear i just got that cool blue trop out of my head, and there it is agen :twisted: GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR :twisted:

·
Registered
3,996 Posts
Repost!!!

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
To be honest, I think it's kind of ugly.

*ducks behind a rock*

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
stusvend said:
To be honest, I think it's kind of ugly.

*ducks behind a rock*
To each his own :D

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Just add some pics :)

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i was going to put those in and forgot :x :lol:

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
Another vote for ugly.

It looks like a really nice truck that has been got at with a chainsaw.

·
Registered
433 Posts
I like it until it gets to the rear fenders. Don't understand why they aren't level with the rest of the body. The lines aren't right.

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
RedStar said:
I like it until it gets to the rear fenders. Don't understand why they aren't level with the rest of the body. The lines aren't right.
I agree. I like the Blue one Andy Posted better :D

·
Registered
438 Posts
That roll cage is sweet i want one like that i am seeting that as my mission , want to source a soft top get rid of hard top to corner of garden till winter and do a crash course on pipe bending and cage welding

1 - 18 of 18 Posts