Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Yea thats typical. Just like what happened to Firestone/Ford. Firestone got such flack for their tires and Ford for the Explorer that it took years to recover. In reality it was consumer/driver negligence or error that caused the issues. In reality a blown tire in no way causes you to instantly roll over like they suggested.

I have literally driven every single vehicle in that video myself and none were more scary than the others. They all handle pretty much the same and that is to be expected since manufacturers often build vehicles to be quite similar in characteristics. Maybe Isuzu did not pay off the bosses of the consumer report test so they got a fail.

I bet if you wanted to you could make any truck/van/suv flip. But because there are so many idiots on the road we now have tire pressure monitoring mandatory and stability control mandatory on all SUV's

·
Registered
90 Posts
Very good and interesting video, thanks for posting. Although all us Isuzu owners already knew all that, I still watched the whole thing and enjoyed it.

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
Great vid. What it doesn't tell is that this was done on purpose. If I recall correctly someone from Consumers union came forward with video showing an exec coming out and saying that the Trooper would be rolled if he had to do it himself and he was the one driving. Same deal with the Sami. I'm convinced they were paid off by another domestic car company myself. At the time of the hoopla about the Sami. In the real world the Ford Bronco 2 was rolling over at 6 times the rate of the Sami per 100 cars. Most of the Sami roll overs involved drunk kids. The BII rollovers were random drivers.

As for the Ford explorer thing There were many factors. Yes the Firestone tires from certain factories overseas were found to not be constructed to specs. There was also the issue of Ford recommending a tire pressure much lower than the tire manufacturer spec'ed for those tires. This was to make the trucks ride better.

Around that time I had my 2000 Trooper. I was sitting at a corner intersection by work at a light. I was sitting at a T. A young woman coming from the right made a left turn around the corner in a Ford Explorer. She was going a little too fast but not crazy so. She almost banged the outside curb and over corrected to the left. The truck dived on it's nose and lifted the back tire. She was heading straight for me. She then over corrected the other direction and the same thing happened. It lifted the rear tire severely! The truck looked like it slammed its shoulder into the ground at each turn. She almost hit my Trooper.This went on for a couple of times back and forth. I have never seen a vehicle got so untidy at a modest speed. I was amazed it didn't flip. I remember thinking at the time that my old 1st gen Trooper in stock form would have laughed off the steering inputs she threw into that truck. And also thinking how crazy that was. Because there are very few trucks that "FEEL" as tippy as a 1st gen Trooper under severe inputs on the road. I've never driven a vehicle that would have acted like that in that situation. I've never liked Fords Twin Traction beam front suspension. And that demo drove it home for me.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Great video. Two key words mentioned at the end: "Common Sense", most drivers/people don´t have it when it comes to analyze something. Guess it´s not that common after all.

·
Registered
8,073 Posts
In the real world, the Bronco II had a much higher rollover rate than the Trooper...wonder why they didn't go after Ford, hmmm?

·
Registered
5,208 Posts
squatch said:
Great vid. What it doesn't tell is that this was done on purpose. If I recall correctly someone from Consumers union came forward with video showing an exec coming out and saying that the Trooper would be rolled if he had to do it himself and he was the one driving. Same deal with the Sami. I'm convinced they were paid off by another domestic car company myself. At the time of the hoopla about the Sami. In the real world the Ford Bronco 2 was rolling over at 6 times the rate of the Sami per 100 cars. Most of the Sami roll overs involved drunk kids. The BII rollovers were random drivers.

As for the Ford explorer thing There were many factors. Yes the Firestone tires from certain factories overseas were found to not be constructed to specs. There was also the issue of Ford recommending a tire pressure much lower than the tire manufacturer spec'ed for those tires. This was to make the trucks ride better.

Around that time I had my 2000 Trooper. I was sitting at a corner intersection by work at a light. I was sitting at a T. A young woman coming from the right made a left turn around the corner in a Ford Explorer. She was going a little too fast but not crazy so. She almost banged the outside curb and over corrected to the left. The truck dived on it's nose and lifted the back tire. She was heading straight for me. She then over corrected the other direction and the same thing happened. It lifted the rear tire severely! The truck looked like it slammed its shoulder into the ground at each turn. She almost hit my Trooper.This went on for a couple of times back and forth. I have never seen a vehicle got so untidy at a modest speed. I was amazed it didn't flip. I remember thinking at the time that my old 1st gen Trooper in stock form would have laughed off the steering inputs she threw into that truck. And also thinking how crazy that was. Because there are very few trucks that "FEEL" as tippy as a 1st gen Trooper under severe inputs on the road. I've never driven a vehicle that would have acted like that in that situation. I've never liked Fords Twin Traction beam front suspension. And that demo drove it home for me.[/quote

THERE WAS A LOT MORE INFO THAN THIS VID SHOWED ALL SO THAT SHOWED CLEARLY THAT THE TROOPER WAS DELIBERATELY FLIPPED UP ON THE LEFT SDIE AND DRIVEN THAT WAY FOR ABOUT 20 FT ON TWO WHEELS. THAT VID WAS NEVER RELEASED TO THE PUBLIC, BUT IT STILL EXIST, AND YOU CAN SEE PLAIN AS DAY THE LEFT FRT WHEEL BEING MOVED BACK AND FORTH AS THOUGH THEY WERE THE CHIT WOODS DRIVING, , WHEN THIS WENT TO COURT THEY COULD NOT EXPLAIN WHY THEY RATED THE 94 TROOPER AS A VERY SAFE AND RELIABLE VEH, AND THEN IN 95 WITH A 4 IN WIDER TRACK SAID IT WAS PRONE TO ROLL OVER , SHORTLY AFTER THIS CASE WENT THRU COURT , ISUZU WON A JUDGEMENT THAT SIMPLY SAID THAT CONSUMERS REPORT WOULD AN D COULD NOT MENTION ANYTHING GOOD BAD OR OTHER WISE ABOUT ISUZU VEH, OR GET OUT YOUR CHECK BOOK AND MAKE SOME BIG NO,S FROM THEN ON ANY TIME THE TROOPERS WERE INCLUDED IN ANY OF THEIR RAGS ANY INFO ON THE TROOPERS WAS SIMPLY LISTED NO DATA AVAILABLE OF NOT ENOUGH INFO TO MAKE A DETERMINATION, SUZUKI WAS SO KIND AND NAILED THEIR *** TO THE WALL ABOUT THE SAMMY ,,

AND THIS OUT FIT CONTINUALLY ADVERTISES , WE DONT GET ANY GOV ,MONEY OR ADVERTISING MONEY , WELL GUESS WHAT EVER HEAR OF THE INSURANCE INSTITUTE FOR HI WAY SAFETY, ALL MOST FULLY SUPPORTED BY THE U,S GOV, AND INS CO.S , AND THEY ARE V ERY BIG CONTRIBUTORS TO CONSUMER REPORTS AND CONSUMERS UNION, AND YET THEY ADVERTISE THAT THEIR ONLY INCOME IS FROM SELLING THE MAGS , YEAH RIGHT . 3-4 DAYS AFTER THIS CRAP STARTED WE WERE LITERALLY FLOODED WITH CALLS FROM ALL OVE R THE COUNTRY, WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH THESE PEOPLE ,AND LETTERS STARTED PORING IN, TROOPER OWNERS WERE SO UP IN ARMS, OVER THIS, NOT AGAINST ISUZU BUT THE RAG MAG,S

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
After those 2 debacles I never read that rag again. For years they downed any SUV that was truck based anyway. I guess it never occurred to them that some people actually tow boats and campers and such and that's better done with a K5 blazer than a Subaru! Don't trust anything I read there.

·
Registered
497 Posts
We had a new '94 trooper when this all happened. As I recall isuzu sent us a VHS tape that broke down the consumer report claims, and showed much of the flawed testing methods. Any one who actually owned a trooper knew it was crap, but I supose the rest is history.

·
Registered
13,615 Posts
So typical that these things happen... The big powers that be always make sure there name comes out with a shine... Cool video to watch... Oporator error is the biggest problem any vehicle faces...

·
Registered
19 Posts
I enjoyed the video. While I've driven trucks before and realize the limits it would be nice if someone made upgraded sway bars for the Rodeo (as this is what the wife has.) Someone might, I've never really looked...she does drive a bit saner than I do. It's not like she goes off road with it, it doesn't even have four wheel drive.

I'm assuming they used steering ratios to determine the steering wheel movement vs. the wheel angles. Why not just show the entry/mid turn wheel angle vs. the vehicle. It looks pretty clear that Trooper has a more aggressive turn in on both parts of the course (of course it pretty much has to on the second turn as he over shot and over compensated during the first turn.)

If I'd was a present day car company I'd hide a black box on board recording all input and a mic in the cabin.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts