Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm new to the forum and to Isuzu's in general. I'm buying a used 2002 Rodeo from a friend and it needs some TLC. I was wondering if it would be possible to use Honda ATF in the Rodeo since I've read that it shares the same transmission as the Passport. Has anyone tried this or can show a link to confirm that this is indeed possible? I'd really like for this to work because I have a case of unused Honda ATF sitting in my basement.

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
Follow what it says in the owners manual, which i believe is DEXRON-III. this is a GM transmission, not honda or isuzu.

don't quote me on the DEX-III, but i believe that is correct.

these transmissions need the correct amount of everything or else they will be all screwy. :lol:

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
Just FYI too. The honda and the passport are the exact same car. Nothing on the passport that's honda besides the badges.

·
Registered
5,475 Posts
Correct...that transmission is a GM 4L30, rest of the truck is all Isuzu.

Use Castrol Import Dex III, I've had great results with that fluid for over 150k miles.

·
Registered
555 Posts
luthic said:
Hi, I'm new to the forum and to Isuzu's in general. I'm buying a used 2002 Rodeo from a friend and it needs some TLC. I was wondering if it would be possible to use Honda ATF in the Rodeo since I've read that it shares the same transmission as the Passport. Has anyone tried this or can show a link to confirm that this is indeed possible? I'd really like for this to work because I have a case of unused Honda ATF sitting in my basement.
I asked Honda what they used in a 1996 Passport,which is the same as my rodeo and they told me that they put the exact same ATF in every single car they service. (although I don't know if they put the friction modifier in as well) Honda sold the Passport in 2002 and as far as I know they had the same transmissions (and were the exact same vehicle) so it should be fine. I would call Honda and ask them if the fluid you have is ok for a 2002 Passport and if you need to put any additives in it. Thats assuming of course that Honda is not screwing up the Passports people bring them,which honestly is not outside the realm of possibility. Ive heard of stranger things happening.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would and I have heard the same thing about Hondas and their strict rule with Honda ATF (save I think the CRT's? One of them doesn't get ATF and it wasn't the Passport), but I'd rather not risk it. Plus I've done all sorts of Google searching and have yet to come up with even anyone talking about using Honda ATF-ZF1 on a Rodeo. :?

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
Yeah, just stick with Dex3, this is an older GM transmission. It doesn't like newer fluids much. And mixing can cause problems.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I've seen this "friction modifier" mentioned quite a bit. Mysterious references to the "black bottle". What is it? Where do I get it? (90% of the time my trans is smooth as glass, sometimes it shifts so hard it rings like a bell. It is always going into 3rd gear that it slams. I pull over shut it off for 5 minutes and it's fine again.

Very disconcerting as I'm giving this vehicle to my son next month on his 16th birthday.

If this stuff helps I'd love to try it. Otherwise it going to be a rebuild soon.

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
ATP part# AT-203

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.