Isuzu SUV Forum banner

Isuzu 3.5 DOHC & 3.2 DOHC engines reliability

20K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  Cuencanolenny 
#1 ·
So on another forum some guy made this post about Isuzu:
the 3.2/3.5's were pieces of **** for lack of an more elegant word. They threw their connecting rods regularly, their valve trains had more bugs in them than a thai kitchen and they drank fuel like it was going out of style. If all that wasn't bad enough their handling set new standards for being poor and they were as slow as ****. The trooper wasn't much better but at least it was considerably more reliable and durable...probably due to the fact that it was made in japan as opposed to indiana
But my eye mainly caught the "they threw their connecting rods regularly, their valve trains had more bugs..."

Is this actually a common issue or is this guy just pulling this stuff out of his ***? I havn't any problems relating to those issue, and on my 12 year old engine the only thing that needs to be replaced is the timing belt. So what is he talking about? Is there something I'm missing?

#2 ·
BS.

#4 ·
BS

can't say mines thrown a rod.... it does have a tick, as does every petrol isuzu, it's the way they run

if using cheap as piss dino oil instead of synthetic, you will have issues with the egr and pcv clogging and junk like that, so don't be a tightarse

yea, they drink like a fish, can be easily improved on though

slow as fuk? it goes faster than EVERY other 4wd i've raced

made in indiana? ....umm weren't the 2004 rodeos the only ones made in the states?

#5 ·
chikoroll said:
slow as fuk? it goes faster than EVERY other 4wd i've raced
x2, this engine has alot of power IMO. Ive smoked alot of suvs and cars in my Rodeo.
The guy may be talking about the timing belt tensioners going out, making it sound like its thrown a rod.
Ive heard of alot of mechinics that mis-diagnosed that sound.

#6 ·
The second gen 3.2's are actually known for toasting rod bearings. I bought mine with a toasted rod bearing ('99). BUT, it's usually due to owners letting the oil level get low. I saw another one on CL for sale in my city, same year, same rod knock. I was so tempted.

Also, my former Rodeo, a 94, was made in Indiana.

#7 ·
haha.

Our slx is at 202k and the lifters are pretty loud, not as bad as some I have heard, gets 17mpg and pulls pretty hard for its age. You want a suv that drinks gas like its going out of style come drive my land cruiser.

#16 ·
Hahahah! I spent six years here in Ecuador after retirement with a FJ40. Hey, I could get 16-17 on the highway at 50mph! About 11-12 around town:). And it was slooooow. Tomorrow I pick up a 2006 Chevrolet D-Max which is made here in Ecuador. It is an Isuzu truck, 4WD, 3.5L V-6. This after my mechanic dissed the 2.4L DOHC engine and I have never cared for the sound of a diesel.

#8 ·
The "slow" and "sucks gas" comments have everything to do with the weight of Isuzu vehicles and nothing to do with the engines. These engines were pretty cutting edge when they came out, just as Isuzu was the first manufacturer to put out a direct injection motor in a production vehicle.

Isuzus are sturdily built, and as a consequence, heavy. This does not lend itself to good gas mileage or 0-60 times.

#9 ·
Well, I can't say anything bad about the 3.2s, my mom is still driving her 96 Trooper with 160k on the ticker. Now, the 3.5Ls have oil burning issues, and I can understand how that gives the motors a bad rap. After all, 99% of the Isuzu owners in the world are not as 'crazy' as we are about our rigs. I don't think a month has passed in my 3+ years of VX ownership where I didn't check my oil level. A lot of VX owners out there have blown their engines and I firmly believe it is a result of the oil burning issue combined with the lack of continued maintenance.

I think Isuzu SUVs are a tried and true vehicle, but like most things, if you neglect it, it will eventually break.

Bart

#10 ·
nfpgasmask said:
Well, I can't say anything bad about the 3.2s, my mom is still driving her 96 Trooper with 160k on the ticker. Now, the 3.5Ls have oil burning issues, and I can understand how that gives the motors a bad rap. After all, 99% of the Isuzu owners in the world are not as 'crazy' as we are about our rigs. I don't think a month has passed in my 3+ years of VX ownership where I didn't check my oil level. A lot of VX owners out there have blown their engines and I firmly believe it is a result of the oil burning issue combined with the lack of continued maintenance.

I think Isuzu SUVs are a tried and true vehicle, but like most things, if you neglect it, it will eventually break.

Bart
Well that is an issue with 3.5L, I'm not denying that. To be honest, if I ever get a 3.5L vehi, I'm taking out the engine first thing and dropping in a 3.2L. Everything is compatible, you're losing about 10HP so there isn't a big loss of performance, and really the pros are much greater than the cons. I've seen some with super chargers on their 3.5L in their vehiCrosses, those will even fit over onto the 3.2L.

#11 ·
SLOW AND HANDLES LIKE POO :shock: One of the main reasons for buying mine was the power it had over the HEEP cherokee.I guess that guy never lined up w/a 2nd gen rodeo before.I dont know what he drives,but i bet i win.(w/all my connecting rods still connected)

#12 ·
Med!c said:
nfpgasmask said:

Bart
Well that is an issue with 3.5L, I'm not denying that. To be honest, if I ever get a 3.5L vehi, I'm taking out the engine first thing and dropping in a 3.2L. Everything is compatible, you're losing about 10HP so there isn't a big loss of performance, and really the pros are much greater than the cons. I've seen some with super chargers on their 3.5L in their vehiCrosses, those will even fit over onto the 3.2L.
Just to be clear, the 92-97 SOHC and DOHC 3.2Ls are a different engine than the 98+ 3.2L.

The 98+ 3.2L and 3.5L are closely related; essentially the 3.5L is a stroked 3.2L.

And, the 92-97 SOHC and DOHC 3.2Ls are basically the same engine, with different heads and intakes. These motors don't have any particular tendency toward oil burning. But they aren't drop-in replacements for the 3.5L; you would need a 98+ 3.2L for that.

#13 ·
I have no problems at all with my 3.5 engine. It doesn't burn oil between changes, there is no lifter tick, and it runs great. The oil has been changed regularly since it was new. Any brand will have problems if it is abused.

#15 ·
the pre 02' 3.2's have the same oil burning issues as the 3.5's. They both
have the same ring set. Even the post 02's will get the same oil burning
issue eventualy it will just take longer for the bigger holes to clog up. The
secret is using a good cleaning oil like the Rotella. Even the 04' 3.5 DI
has is "carbon bugs" it seems you have to do a cleaning every 20K or
you get some sort of weird knocking. So I have read:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.