Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi to any diesel lover's out there I am trying to get aprox 20 to 25 people together who would like low mile(km) 4JB1 TD ( turbo diesel) for a replacement for their 4ZE1 These where in the Isuzu Bighorn (Trooper) Japan,UK, Aussie model As I lived in Japan for a number of years and exported vehicles I built up some conections So if I can get together enough interested parties I will be able to bring a 20ft container with the engines depending on the number of people I should be able to iget them for around $600 to $800 these would be low miles as in Japan most people drive 5/6000KMS a year if that. Spare in the future would not be a problem I can order for anyone email me and I can send pics of the jvehicles sample motor pics and specs Looking forward to hearing from diesel lovers :lol: :D
[email protected]

·
Registered
546 Posts
Would that directly bolt on to my automatic transmission? And what about computer systems? How old are these puppies? Are there any parts available for these engines over here?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
TexasTrooper said:
Would that directly bolt on to my automatic transmission? And what about computer systems? How old are these puppies? Are there any parts available for these engines over here?
Motors would have aprox 60/80k to 100k Kilometers Most Japanese get rid of the vehicle after 5 yrs as safety inspection is very expensive aprox $1500 and up depending on the vehicle must be done every 2 yrs
The 5spd manual trany in the Bighorn in Jpn is a Trooper except they had a diesel one If trany will not match (I am checking) can get trany and motor harness and computer all in one
Me I am 51 yrs old born here in the US lived all over Army brat my self daftee paratrooper 6yrs US 2 yrs Rhodesia 4 yrs S.Africa 25 yrs in Africa almost 10 in Japan wife Japanese kid half sell cars here in San Diego for Toyota and broker deals at other dealers have a sales lic. in CA it takes an FBI check to get one I will provide that # on Request lived in SD July will be 5 yrs exported vehicles to Africa from Jpn still do with my buddies in Jpn
At this time no web site working on it
The price I mentioned is an Aprox amount for a 20ft container I will have a complete cost in a few day buddies in Jpn working on a price and aprox number of engines with and without trannies will fit the I will have a unit cost breakdown to Long Beach CA
Cell phone is
858 349 3736

Regards John
1990 Automatic August model (1991)

Displacement, cc2771 Engine model4JB1-T Max.power (Net), kw(PS)/rpm115 ps (84.58 kw) / 3600 rpm Max.torque(Net), N*m(kg*m)/rpm24.0 kg*m (235.36 N*m) / 2300 rpm Power density15.83 Engine typeSerial 4 cylinder OHVIC turbo Engine informationDirect injection type Fuel systemDistributor type pump TurbochargerTurbo with intercooler Fuel typeDiesel LEV system (Low emission vehicle)No Compression ratio17.5 Bore, mm93 Stroke, mm102 Final gear ratio Fuel consumption at 10-15 modes, l/100km Fuel consumption at 60 km/h, l/100km

1990 Jan same Motor
Body typeSUV&Offroad DrivePART 4WD TransmissionAdvanced 5 speed full synchronizer MUA type Displacement, cc2771 FrameQ-UBS55FW-4KL

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello,
Pardon my tardiness to this thread, but I'm looking to take a 1990 or 1991 trooper (4 wheel disk brakes - all around)... and swap in either a 2.8 or 3.1 diesel.
Has anyone done/completed? I want a manual tranny.... can I use the existing one? It seems that most 3.1's on eBay come with automatics.

How difficult a task is this? I see other people doing this, but with more modern troopers. I'd like to stay with 1990-1991 models.

I have a '86 trooper turbo Diesel (3rd gen)... but would like more power.
Any advice greatly appreciated.
Much thanks
Larry

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
we have found on the site that the MUA manual trans that's bolted to the 2.6L EFI 88/91 gearing wise is 100% the same to the 4JB1-T 2.8L
computer free engine sold in Japan around 88/91 years maybe a few years newer in the Japan market :?:

the difference is the starter location and the front bearing retainer.
so the hole trans is not needed, just the front housing and bearing retainer for people with the MUA and 2.6L

if its GM 2.8L V-6 with GM 4L30-E slush box trans or Isuzu manual trans your going to need the hole trans. the manual trans is more or less the same, but its a different input shaft size...it could be done but not easy.

2.6L with 30/80 aison/Warner auto trans, your best bet is to just get a hole trans.
unless all the parts and peaces can be set over to swap the 30/80 auto box that's with the 2.6L can be sent from over seas....to change to a diesel engine pattern.
the diesel 30/80 i saw had a removable front housing , and i know the gas 30/80 is also removable, so based on that its possible.

·
Registered
Original owner, 1983 P'up LS (diesel)
2,855 Posts
Since there's already an active topic about this very subject, maybe you should continue the discussion there, rather than in this 7-year-old topic.

Jack

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.