Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I previously owned a 90 V6 auto Trooper and loved it! I am in the process of purchasing an 86 Trooper with 87k original miles, complete engine rebuild, new radiator, clutch, flywheel, crank, etc.

Are there any items I need to watch for, or is this truck as reliable as my 90 was (even though it had that Chevy pos v6).

Thanks,

Ray

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
Power for one. That 2.3 only has about 100 HP. Also it has a carb as compared to the fuel injection on the 1990.

·
Registered
790 Posts
As with all the 'Zu 4 cylinders, keep it cool, keep up on the valve adjustment, and it will hold together for a good long time. From the description you give I can take a good guess at why the motor was rebuilt. The new radiator is good a sign it had overheated and blew the head gasket or warped the head. Make sure all the hoses are in good shape, and that the heater core isn't leaking (runs out of the bottom of the heater, usually in plain sight). That should cover the basics of what you can't hear/feel for yourself.

The 86 has some different parts from the 90 you had, so don't expect all the upgrades you might have found for the 90 to fit the 86. I'm still looking for a good manual hub donor for example.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I just picked up my new 1986 Trooper. 88k original miles. Slight body damage to R/F fender. Rebuilt engine about 500 miles ago; have receipts for new pistons, sleeved cyclinders, rings, valves, head, reground crank, new radiator, hoses, belts, etc... Also has new clutch kit, and new tires!! New drums, rotors, pads, etc. Carpet looks like new, but drivers seat is shot. All in all, worth the $800 I paid for it. No one else wanted it since it has $540 past due dmv fees. So for $1350 I think I got a good deal.

Has a slight exhaust leak, will fix this weekend.

Sure am glad to be back in the Isuzu family!!!!

Ray

1 - 4 of 4 Posts