Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have "Fluffed & buffed" this thing to death. Got the heavy creepy trigger down to a still creepy but managable 3.5lbs.
Added a NC Star sight rail that had to be hevily modified to fit right, the Sightron Holo sight would not adjust down far enough, so it currently has a Center Rpoint AR-Tactical Red / Green (Selectable) dot sight on it. The bipod I purchased many years ago for a SKS I rebuilt from the frame up.
This pistol will group 1" @ 25 yards with ELEY Target ammo. (Have to manually rack the slide though)
and will group 1.5" @ 25 yards with the CCI MiniMag 40gr solids.
Pics:

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
Nice.

I've been wanting to try my hand at fixing an old handgun, to plink with.

Pretty much any kind of old handgun that someone has decided they don't want to try to fix.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
nfpgasmask said:
That's funny, I don't think I have ever seen a pistol with a bi-pod.

Bart
Well, I WISH I could take credit for the idea, but Ruger beat me to it a few years ago when they came out with the Ruger Charger pistol. ( Basicaly a 10/22 with a short barrell and pistol grip)
:lol:
I also posted this over at the Gun and Game forum, and the only responce was: WHY?
LMAO !!!!!!!!

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
COYOTE102076 said:
I also posted this over at the Gun and Game forum, and the only responce was: WHY?
LMAO !!!!!!!!
Because you can.

Why do people climb mountains ?

That's why I want a non-working handgun, to begin with. Because for me, the fixin of the thing, is as fun as the plinking with it afterward.

·
Registered
9,936 Posts
I have a handgun that I cannot figure out. Its a COP .357 Derringer and it just doesn't always fire. I think there is some sort of ratcheting mechanism in it that is not engaging the firing pin. Weird. I wish I could figure it out.

Bart

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Unless you have a tax stamp for the AOW you just created, your gun is illegal. I'd take the pictures down asap, take that bi-pod/vertical foregrip OFF, and start reading up on NFA laws. Don't need the ATF kicking your door down and killing your family over it.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ummmmmm. dude. Dont know you, but this little 22 pistol has NOTHING to do with the NFA laws! :lol:

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Let me clarify, it is a BIPOD. It is sold from Cabellas as a BIPOD. It's manufacturer sells this product as a BIPOD.
No where in the lawbook that you are referring to does it state one cannot attach a BIPOD to a handgun. Hunters have been dooing this for YEARS!
Infacto, the EXACT LAW you are so jumpy about specifies "FORGRIP", not BIPOD.
I'm NOT trying to flame you or make you mad. Just want everyone to fully understand the seriousness of your accusation.
You have accused me of engaging in a criminal act. An accusation that I do NOT take light harted!
Furthermore, this accusation had no legal grounds whereupon to stand on.
http://www.atf.gov/press/releases/2006/ ... -grip.html

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
In the intrest of "Keeping the peace", I have deleted the photos from all internet forums. Courtesy of clicking one tiny little "delete" button on photobucket.
Since I made the last post just a few min. ago, I called my freind, who just so happens to be our local sheriff, to get his feedback.
He said, in a Readers Digest version:
1) It is a bi-pod, not a foregrip. You SHOULD be ok. BUT......
2) having that been said, (law agencies) have a habbit of turning ruger 22 rifles into "Assault weppons" IF things ever had to go to court.
3) Even though you are not guilty under a tecnicality (forgrip vs. bipod), I would STRONGLY sugjest you remove it untill I can clarify it's legality with the state.
'
Bipod is now removed untill further clarification from the state.

·
Registered
11,467 Posts
If you can buy a Ruger Charger where you live then your pistol with a bipod on it is legal. ALL Ruger Chargers come from the factory with a bipod and are classified as a PISTOL even though it is the exact same receiver and trigger group as a 10/22 except for the word "Charger" engraved on the receiver. Due to weird federal regs you can put a long barrel on the receiver of a charger and put it in a stock to make it a rifle with no problem. However, you cant do the opposite with a 10/22 receiver.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Don't bother asking cops, they don't know gun laws any more than anyone else, although your friend gave you decent advice.

I'm not mad at you, I'm trying to keep you out of serious trouble. I know it is a bipod, but you can't add a vertical foregrip to a pistol without a tax stamp. You can argue until you are blue in the face about the differences between a bipod and a vertical foregrip, but the ATF won't see it that way. You do NOT want to mess with the ATF. Sorry to rain on what would have otherwise been the funny post that you intended it to be, but you don't want to cross the ATF.

Let me give you a similar example of the way those terrorists (ATF) operate. Say you have an AR pistol with an 8" barrel, and an extra 10" barrel. Both completely legal on your pistol. Now let's say that you are also building an AR for coyotes that you plan to have as a regular rifle with a 20" barrel. So in the midst of creating your build, you have your pistol with two barrels, and just the completed lower for your rifle, but you don't have a barrel on it yet. In the eyes of the ATF, you have the ability to create an unregistered SBR because you have that extra 10" barrel laying around that will fit onto your rifle lower. The ATF can and will charge people for stuff like this. It is completely stupid, but good luck arguing your case after the ATF kicked down your door in the middle of the night and threw you in Federal prison for 10 years for Federal tax evasion.

Again, I'm sorry to be the guy to bust up the party, but it's really not something you want to mess with. Until America is a free country again, it is better to keep your head down and not post such things online. You did the right thing by taking the photos down.

Gizmo is correct about the Ruger Charger having enjoying leniency with these types of laws.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
nfpgasmask said:
Yeah, the gray areas and muddy waters of our country's gun laws are incredibly thick and frightening.

Bart
You got that right!
Just does not make good sence.
WHY can it be that there are no less than FOUR Ruger Charger pistols with bi-pod's for sale within 40 miles of my home, yet installing my own is a big NO NO!
Our government has gone Ammuck! Ammuck! Ammuck!

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
OH, and BTW Enemigo, sorry if I came off cross. And THANKS for looking out for me.

:eek:ccasion5:

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Once you look into NFA laws, you start seeing people do stuff that is illegal and they have no idea. At least once a week I bet you could find an AR pistol for sale with a vertical foregrip installed, or sometimes even a buttstock!! and the seller has no clue that it is a big no no.

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
Enemigo said:
Once you look into NFA laws, you start seeing people do stuff that is illegal and they have no idea. At least once a week I bet you could find an AR pistol for sale with a vertical foregrip installed, or sometimes even a buttstock!! and the seller has no clue that it is a big no no.
What about going to other way around, and making a pistol out of a 22 rifle ?

·
Registered
11,467 Posts
Enemigo said:
Since when did pistols with buttstocks become illegal? Those have been around from manufacturers as long as there have been pistols.

That's a very quick way to get the interest of ATF.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Gizmo42 said:
Enemigo said:
Since when did pistols with buttstocks become illegal? Those have been around from manufacturers as long as there have been pistols.

That's a very quick way to get the interest of ATF.
Besides the one you posted, and a broomhandle Mauser, can you name any?

Even when you buy the broomhandle gun (I forget the actual name), you HAVE to have purchased the ORIGINAL buttstock with the gun in order for it to be grand fathered in. If you buy one without the buttstock, you can't find a stock later and use it.

·
Registered
11,467 Posts
Luger Navy version, Walther had one, Beretta had one, S&W had a revolver with buttstock. There are also some other oddball european military ones.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts