Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a late start because it was 20 degrees this morning. I am in Florida and I thought there was global warming. Anyway, I pulled the radiator first because I am going to have it pressure tested in a tank at a local shop just to be on the safe side. Since this is my first time I took it slow and took lots of pics and tagged hoses with tape so I know where things go back to. I have to replace alot of the hoses, cracks, dry rot, and I had to cut the lower radiator hose to get it off.

Got everything off and pulled the rocker arm cover and this is what it looks like, is this typical, should it be cleaner? It almost looks burnt on.

top of the inside of the cover

·
Registered
7,210 Posts
That looks like it's had dino oil all it's life. That and yes, it may have been a bit hot at some point. I assume you are getting it torn down that far so you can adjust your valves?

If not go ahead and adjust them while you are there.

Joe

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
finniefish said:
Got everything off and pulled the rocker arm cover and this is what it looks like, is this typical, should it be cleaner? It almost looks burnt on.

top of the inside of the cover
Even though it's a 2.3 which I really don't know anything about, It look's as though it shouldn't be that way, Is it just the pic's or me, but that look's really red to me, almost like really watery red mud. I think your right, it look's like it has been burned on, But again thats what it look's like to me. Ok so: What does it smell like? Burned, like the Oil has been Very hot? or like oil should smell after it's been used and you get some on your hand's, and you smell it. ( Come on, I know you ALL have done it, and still do, it can tell you lots of things by the smell: Over Fuel yada yada. ) I'm also wondering what type Oil they were using before you got it. Or what type of additive's they had in the oil. Still that doesn't look right.

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
Looks fairly normal for an everyday used and abused 4 banger that's 20yrs old. Ideal color for a perfectly maintained and easily used engine would be more golden than red. But these motors live a hard life(little motor lotta truck). I don't see any real sludge on bottom of head. Wipe out anything that will. Adjust per specs. And change your oil a little more often than the last owner.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Looks good to me.

Don't forget to torque the 10 rocker arm shaft nuts, too (16 ft.lb.) and the 2 little bolts are 6 ft.lb.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, for the opinions and advice! And yes it really is that red, it is not just the picks. I also went out and took another wiff, it does have a burnt smell to it. The oil was changed within the last couple hundred miles so it was clean.

This all started from a blown head gasket or cracked head so I am actually pulling the head. I will be taking this one in to get resurfaced if it is OK and not cracked or getting a rebuilt from Clearwater cylinders.

Other upgrades while it is torn down:
Since timing belt was resently replaced I don't have to do that.
Radiator checked and flushed or new one.
New water pump.
All new hoses.

Other possible mods:
Calmini cam.
Calmini header and exhaust.

And if all goes well a new carb.

While I have it this far down should I consider anything else?

·
Registered
997 Posts
Are you getting a valve job? If not, Might look into that. Have em' check the exhaust valve guides. Mine were all loose and one even dropped enough to keep the #2 exhaust open all the time.

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
squatch said:
Looks fairly normal for an everyday used and abused 4 banger that's 20yrs old. Ideal color for a perfectly maintained and easily used engine would be more golden than red. But these motors live a hard life(little motor lotta truck). I don't see any real sludge on bottom of head. Wipe out anything that will. Adjust per specs. And change your oil a little more often than the last owner.
Now that you mention that, yeah that does look normal for what you just descibed. I'm just now seeing what you have just mentioned about the "No Sludge" in the bottom of the head, and Yes that is a good thing. Little Motor and a Ton of Truck is very correct. They do have a hard life. I know I have flogged my Previous motor lot's more than I should have, and I know most of you have done the same. LOL. But, it's a good thing you are digging into the head, Those valve's need done on a regular interval. Shoot, I do it when I Feel the need to when I have some free time. I've even got to the point that I have it written down on one of the access plate's to the wiper setup under the hood. So, if I forget the tolerance's, I can just look up and there they are. You'll learn to love Isuzu's, or just hate the hell out of them. :D

·
Registered
325 Posts
That is the same look as the head on my 1986 Trooper. I would also recommend the valves serviced with the surfacing.
GEG

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.