Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's what my Impulse's 24 year old Isuzu clutch friction disk looks like. Just got it off yesterday. The scoring on the disk is strange looking.

Now, the car was shifting and holding quite well before the tear down, and I was planning to reuse the original Isuzu clutch, but after seeing how much dust was present, and the condition of the disk, I am wondering.

What do you all think?

Bart

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Looks like normal wear to me. Not enough left on it to try to justify reusing it though.

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
exedy seems to make pretty decent products, you don't hear any complaints on this board at least. Seems like a good deal.

·
Registered
555 Posts
nfpgasmask said:
Yeah, I mean, I am refreshing everything else, I guess it would be kinda shortsighted to not replace the clutch while it is all apart.

Bart
Let me tell you a little story of a guy who was working at minimum wage jobs and bought a 1981 RX7 to fix up for 200 bucks. He took the motor out and replaced it with a used one from a wrecking yard. He was trying to save money so he inspected and reinstalled the clutch. 4 months later that clutch went out,but he was still poor and working for minimum wage,so he decided once more to save some money and just replaced the clutch but not the throw out bearing. 3 months later he was trying to show off to some girls driving along beside him at a stop light,and as he was trying to shift into 3rd the throwout bearing (or something) jammed and it the clutch would not operate. After they pulled away giggling to each other,he was so ashamed he ended up sending that car to a wrecking yard just in case those girls ever saw him in his RX7 and recognized him.

Well,that guy was me,and yes,I was really showing off to a car full of hot babes when the clutch jammed,but it was really more like I was so disgusted with the cars "constant problems" that I just got rid of it and got something else. Still,those problems looking back were created by me not doing it right to begin with. If you don't replace that clutch you WILL regret it when you have to tear the whole thing apart. I suggest replacing the throwout bearing as well. My personal policy is,if you have the engine out,replace the clutch and throwout bearing while your in there. (And yea,they really did laugh :oops: )

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
[(And yea,they really did laugh :oops: )[/quote]

I laughed too. :lol:

X2 on replacing the whole clutch system, and resurface the flywheel then you might have it for another 24 years.

You said
The scoring on the disk is strange looking.
If you are talking about the funny squiggly lines, those are part of the fibers used to hold the friction material together and is normal. That C plate looks really good for 24 years but sure NOT good enough to reuse.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
i would replace it just cuz i got the motor out and i wouldnt have to worry about it for at least 50,000miles unless youre super aggressive with the clutch

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.