Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
i am going to sell my 1999 isuzu amigo...something is draining the battery, and I don't wanna spend the time fixing it...the 4wd does not work, and I would have to jump it to start it, but I would feel comfortable driving across country on 2wd, except for the battery...was my daily driver until the battery issue...new battery...

what should I ask for it here in phoenix?

EDIT--NEW PIX ADDED BELOW

·
Registered
1989 Trooper R/S
4,384 Posts
My 2 cents. Parasitic drain is not that hard to fix and it could mean 1000 dollars more for a vehicle without that problem. Same goes for the 4 wheel drive issue. With 2 problems your Amigo is worth lots less, so be prepared for that. As an example, I bought a 2000 Amigo with problems 4 or so years ago for 7 hundred while they were bringing over 2 thousand without problems at that time.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok, more detail and some photos here (what should I ask for this amigo?):
-1999 amigo
-148k miles
--v6 engine
-passed arizona emissions test in about november 2021
--has clean az title in my name.
-I bought it in colorado in about 2012 or so, and it had about 133k on it at the time
-was serviced regularly
-engine and transmission are strong, as far as I can tell...I would have no problem driving it across country, except for the suspect battery due to parasitic drain...
--not much rust on it except on the lower doors...the undercarriage seems ok--colorado does not salt their roads (and I don't know why, because the snow there is crazy and it's hilly!)...
--in november 2021 or so, i had the fuel tank sensor replaced in order to pass AZ emissions ...
problems:
1. parasitic drain on battery will drain the battery in several days, and it currently needs a jump to be started.
2. 4wd making a noise when it is turned on (was told years ago by mechanic that a boot was torn---bad cv joint maybe? I just leave it in 2wd and the transmission works fine)
3. windshield has some cracks in it from hail, and the hood has some hail dents
4. gas gauge not working--I just use the trip odometer to tell how many miles since I filled it up
5. ABS light comes on frequently, but the brakes work fine...
that's all I can think of..

Car Steering part Automotive design Auto part Personal luxury car

Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Bumper

Hood Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive exterior

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Car

Hood Automotive tire Water Automotive lighting Automotive mirror

·
Registered
48 Posts
ABS lights on these come on all the time (about ever 2-3 trips for me), I wouldn’t worry about fixing that. The battery drain and 4wd issues will dip the price about $1-1500 depending on the buyer, I’d fix those before selling if you’ve got the cash and time.

As for the fuel gauge, do you have a check engine light on? My amigo has a busted fuel level sensor so the gas gauge was dead, but it was throwing a code.

With all that, as it sits I would say try to sell it $3500, maybe $3000. But you could sell it for $5000+ easy with those issues fixed 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
95 Pickup, 98 Amigo
512 Posts
I'd poke around and see exactly where that 4WD noise is coming from. Because if it is just a CV axle, list it as just that. Saying "4WD does not work" is a lot scarier and will definitely hurt the value, where as a new cv axle is like $100.

I'd put it in 4wd in a dirt parking lot and do some tight circles, in both directions. Is the noise coming from the wheel area or transmission area?

Does it sound like this?

·
Registered
48 Posts
there is no check engine light--the state of AZ would not have passed it for emissions if there had been a check engine light
Hmmm. I’d still bet on fuel level sensor, but someone else more mechanically inclined may chime in.
And X2 on the 4wd issue, cv axles are not horribly expensive just kind of a b*tch to fix

1 - 12 of 12 Posts