Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So got the Rodeo/Passport about 4 months ago. One day I took it down to Belize and when I got off the highway after 4 hours I heard what I would describe as a grinding noise coming from the rear driver tire/axle area.

This noise appears after a half hour or so of high speed driving which leads me to believe that it's something to do with over heating.

Also, when I turn you hear some popping noises coming from back there, but I'm not sure if that's related or if it's just because I have an old truck that wasn't taken care of.

I have put 10,000 miles on the truck since I first heard the noise, but I'm starting to get concerned about taking longer trips.

Is this a bearing that needs replacing?

Any ideas what this could be?

·
Registered
7,209 Posts
Where does the noise seem to come from? Rear axle, tranny, U-joints?

I'd try checking the fluids, the rear end fluid, tranny fluid, t-case.

All of these are checked in the same fashion. You will remove the upper plug and try and touch fluid with your finger. Add until fluid comes out of the fill hole.

The tranny takes engine oil, the t-case takes engine oil as well. The rear end takes gear oil.

Joe

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
To me it sounds like it's coming from the wheel maybe. It gets louder if it turn into it. So if I'm moving forward and turn to the right, the noise will get louder.

Also it goes away when I pick some speed up. If I'm coming from my town into Cancun as soon as I stop at the first red light, the noise will appear when I start moving again. I hit 15+ mph and it "goes away"

it's pretty consistant as far as high speed / longer trip. I can run around all day long in town (I live in a really small town) in stop and go traffic without this noise showing up....so far anyway

I thought about checking/changing the fluids, but I am a strong believer in the "if it ain't broke" way of things and have a nasty habit of making a small problem much larger it seems.

Like when I decided to change the rear shocks. Not only did they not have the right parts around here (you have to bring them a sample for anything it seems) but once my friend did bring down the right shocks from the US I had to wail on the passenger side for almost an hour with an air chisel to take off the top bolt (gas tank is 2 inches away so I can't use a torch or more destructive means).

Then I stripped the bottom thread mounting it back up....

·
Registered
5,223 Posts
To me it sounds like it's coming from the wheel maybe. It gets louder if it turn into it. So if I'm moving forward and turn to the right, the noise will get louder.

Also it goes away when I pick some speed up. If I'm coming from my town into Cancun as soon as I stop at the first red light, the noise will appear when I start moving again. I hit 15+ mph and it "goes away"

it's pretty consistant as far as high speed / longer trip. I can run around all day long in town (I live in a really small town) in stop and go traffic without this noise showing up....so far anyway

I thought about checking/changing the fluids, but I am a strong believer in the "if it ain't broke" way of things and have a nasty habit of making a small problem much larger it seems.

Like when I decided to change the rear shocks. Not only did they not have the right parts around here (you have to bring them a sample for anything it seems) but once my friend did bring down the right shocks from the US I had to wail on the passenger side for almost an hour with an air chisel to take off the top bolt (gas tank is 2 inches away so I can't use a torch or more destructive means).

Then I stripped the bottom thread mounting it back up....
SOUNDS LIKE YOU HAVE A LEFT WHEEL BEARING PROB, AS YOU TURN INTO THE RIGHT TURN THE WEIGHT OF THE VEH SHIFTS TO THE LEFT SIDE AND LOADS THE BEARING IT MAY OR MAY NOT MAKE A LOT OF NOISE AT FIRST GOING IN A STRAIGHT LINE BUT IT WILL SOON IF IT IS A WHEELS BEARING . JERRY

·
Registered
7,209 Posts
I'd check your rear end fluid. If it sounds like you are getting a noise from the rear end. The rear end fluid also feeds the rear bearings on the outer axle as well.

Check your fluid. You can probably add some fluid and hope the noise goes away, but the damage is probably already done.

Joe

·
Premium Member
3,580 Posts
How much fluid would it take to fill up the rear axle after draining it completely?
I can't remember exactly, but less than two bottles.
(* And if you have a Limited Slip Rear, don't forget the Limited Slip Additive)

Good luck on discovering the source of the problem!

Cheers!
Smiley

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.