Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,343 Posts
i think the best way to find out is measure the fin thickness , 2 row will be about 1.3 inches thick , 3 row will be about 2 in thick.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll have to go out and measure. This truck, being a 2.6 1st gen Trooper with a manual transmission, should have had a single row radiator. I checked it out today and it looks like it is a 2 row. I was going to order a 2 row radiator, but I might not have to now!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The fins measure about 1 3/8", so that makes it a 2 row then?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,785 Posts
thats a 3 core, unless it has more rows that can not be seen.

theres very few Isuzu's with a 3 core in the older autos, i don't have a clue as to if any newer isuzu's came with a 3 core?

or did it come out of something else :?:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
trooper T/diesel said:
thats a 3 core, unless it has more rows that can not be seen.

theres very few Isuzu's with a 3 core in the older autos, i don't have a clue as to if any newer isuzu's came with a 3 core?

or did it come out of something else :?:
It came out of my 88 Trooper.

It does not have the trans cooler lines at the bottom, so I'm guessing it has been re-cored at some point.

Either way, can I be certain that this is not a single row radiator? If it is not a single row, I'm gonna put it back in (I was going to order a new 2 row rad).

Thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,785 Posts
thats a 3 core, if its in a 88 trop its not ORIGINAL
they had 1 and two core only.

you see the narrow slots and there three high :?: if that was one row of narrow slots "left to right" it would be a one core. if there was two in there it would be a two core.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I tried to get a nice close shot of the inside of the rad, maybe I got too close though. Here is another one:


So, looking at this one, there are 2 rows stacked front to back, making it a 2 row right?
 

·
Registered
Original owner, 1983 P'up LS (diesel)
Joined
·
2,713 Posts
trooper T/diesel said:
you see the narrow slots and there three high :?: if that was one row of narrow slots "left to right" it would be a one core. if there was two in there it would be a two core.
David, I don't know how you know what's left to right in that photo. It looks to me more like:
| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |
| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |

than:
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Jadk
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
677 Posts
All the Zus up to 97 with the 2.6 5 spd manual had dual core. All the Zus with automatics and 6 bangers had 3 cores. Its next door to impossible to get a new 2 core these days. All the replacement rads are coming as 3 cores with tranny coolers....

They work just fine in a 2.6 5 spd. I have one in mine that replaced the original 2 core. Only problem with the replacements is you can not get one with metal tanks. They are all plastic.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
JoeIsuzu said:
I don't know how you know what's left to right in that photo. It looks to me more like:
| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |
| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |

than:
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Jadk
That's why I added the less close-up picture. Sorry about that. It is like this:

Front
| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |
| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |
Back

johnnie59 said:
All the Zus up to 97 with the 2.6 5 spd manual had dual core.
I thought for sure that the early troopers had a single core unless they were the auto trans.

JLEMOND said:
GET THE RADIATOR FROM ANY 88-91 TROOPER WITH THE AUTOMATIC TRANS IT IS A DUAL ROW RAD, AND IF EVERYTHING IS OK WITH THE ENG IT WONT RUN HOT , MAKE CERTAIN THE CLUTCH FOR THE FAN IS WORKING, THESE THING DO WEAR OUT SO SLOW THAT YOU NEVER NOTIC E THEM , JERRY
I got that from:
http://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic.php?t=10562
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,785 Posts
yea :oops: sorry the photo was too close, its a two core
 

·
Registered
Original owner, 1983 P'up LS (diesel)
Joined
·
2,713 Posts
Off topic, but you can tell somebody's a Unix/Linux nerd when they find an excuse to use the pipe ("|") character. :lol:

The rest of you won't get it. Sorry.

Jack
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
JoeIsuzu said:
Off topic, but you can tell somebody's a Unix/Linux nerd when they find an excuse to use the pipe ("|") character. :lol:

The rest of you won't get it. Sorry.

Jack
ps -ef | grep JoeIsuzu
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top