Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 99 Rodeo with a 2.2l 4 cylinder and after looking on craigslist for a motor I have noticed that a lot of the 2.2l Rodeos have head gasket failures. Is this a problem with that motor? I love this truck and took it to a mechanic who replaced the head gasket twice only to have it fail twice. At this point i want to know if its worth overhauling or selling "as is". It has 125k and the rest of the motor probably needs rebuilding. I can have a used motor installed here where I live for about $2500. I'm told this motor would have no more than 80k on it but who knows. I need to know if the head gasket problem is a flaw and if so is there a fix. I would also like opinions on what I should do. Fix or Sell. I really love the truck. How much is a truck in this condition worth? the body is in great shape. the interior also. AC works and the spare tire is rear door mounted. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Did he only replace the gasket, or did it go to the machinist?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The head went to the machine shop and the gasket was replaced before the head was put back. still failed.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
i have had a bounch of rodeos with v6 engines , only one with a 4 cyl , it was a 97 , great rodeo , used no oil , good gas milage , put on a quite performance muffler , helped a lot.

if it were me i would put another head gasket on it and sell it, if you like the 4 cyl , look for a 97 4cyl rodeo , you will never be sorry.

i don't think the holden 4cyl engine like you have is as good as the made in japan 97 4 cyl.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I like the 99 and up body style. I never considered a 97. I have not seen a whole lot of the 4 cylinder versions from 97. I knew they made one but I don't see a lot of them around. least not here.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A quick check on craigslist here shows two Rodeos, a 96 and 97. Both 4 cylinder, both still running and for sale. Both with over 150k miles. The 97 has over 200k! I would love to know what gives between this engine and mine...

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
i guess the 96/97 4 cyl engine is as solid as a brick , made in japan , manual cooling fan , easy to work on , the engine you have is a holden made in australia , a very weak engine strength wise compared to the japan 4cyl, i think you have a electric cooling fan .

i see a lot of the newer rodeos with the engine you have for sale , they can't hardly give the away.

take your time and get a 96/97 4cyl rodeo , you will find one with less than 150k miles and in good condition. check auto trader--ebay--yahoo motors.

·
Registered
423 Posts
We have a 99 amigo with a 2.2l that has gone in for head gaskets, one only lasted 6,000 miles. Our motor hates aftermarket head gaskets. The last time it was done I ordered a factory Isuzu head gasket and had no problems with the motor blowing gaskets since then.

Scott

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey Scott, how many miles do you have on the Isuzu OEM head gaskets? I'm trying to determine it it would be worth it mileage wise and financially to fix.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
5th, i do have electric fan motor. It stays on all the time which is okay I guess. better than not going on....

·
Registered
37 Posts
Part of the problems that occur with head gaskets not sealing properly is in the surface finish on the head after resurfacing. Some machine shops get a proper finish 'tooth' on the head, others don't. Another point is that some engine manufacturers state that you must replace the head bolts with new ones, as the old bolts are stretched & you cannot get the proper clamping force on the head & new gasket - what does Isuzu recommend?

bnc

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
On both occasions i used head sets that included new head bolts...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts