Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to upgrade the rear diff in my Isuzu longbed to a posi or Detroit Locker. It's the orig Japan issue rear with the bolts on the front side - similar to a Ford.

Thanks in advance :)

·
Premium Member
5,577 Posts
Yes, a limited slip differential was offered for those axles. If you have disk brakes, you have the Isuzu 12-bolt rear axle. This was used from 88-97 in Troopers, 89-94 in Amigos, and in Pup's. If you have drum brakes, you have the 10-bolt rear axle. A LSD for those axles will be much harder to find.

Your best bet if you have the 12-bolt is a 2nd gen Trooper (92-97) with G80 on the option plate.

-Tad

·
Registered
7,209 Posts
Yeah I just bought a 12 bolt limited slip third member for my 12 bolt. I also just bought a set of Tera Low t-case gears so i have a few installs to do.

You can do just a third member swap and get the limited slip. That would be a lot more economical than a whole axle swap.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
bigpoppax2 said:
Yeah I just bought a 12 bolt limited slip third member for my 12 bolt. I also just bought a set of Tera Low t-case gears so i have a few installs to do.

You can do just a third member swap and get the limited slip. That would be a lot more economical than a whole axle swap.
The rear end on my has the housing bolts on the front side - like a Ford 9 inch. Who did you get the limited slip from?

Thanks

·
Registered
7,209 Posts
You should be able to get one from any junk yard that has some older troopers. I bought mine from Tad when we were down at Uwharrie this last trip. The price was right, and I was helping him get some junk out of his garage.

Yes it's a pretty straight forward install. Pull the rear axles out some and unbolt the chunk. Drain all the fluid and put your new one in. Put your axles back and fill with gear oil and the special LS oil for the clutches.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.