Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finished putting together my dash and such after the heater core install and I went to turn on my heater to feel the wonderful warm air aaaaannnd..."pleh" barely any air is coming out of the defrost vents (now on the install of the H-Vac box I made sure to adjust the levers so everything closes tight and opens wide). I switch the vents to the dash vents and it feels like a bit more air, but still nothing to get excited about.

Being my first Isuzu...is this normal? I know without being here and feeling the air flow you can't really give me a specific answer...but I didn't know if I should have a "wind tunnel" like other rigs I've owned or if a weak amount of air is normal?

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
I recently replaced my heater core and while I had the unit out I noticed in the fan cage there was a lot of debris like leaves and stuff. It was about half filled with crap that had fallen in to it. Might check it out as a reason no air is getting through. If it is like my '92 Rodeo you will only have to pull the right side of the dash out to see down in to it. I took a shop vac with an long nozzle to clean mine.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
rodeo joe said:
I recently replaced my heater core and while I had the unit out I noticed in the fan cage there was a lot of debris like leaves and stuff. It was about half filled with crap that had fallen in to it. Might check it out as a reason no air is getting through. If it is like my '92 Rodeo you will only have to pull the right side of the dash out to see down in to it. I took a shop vac with an long nozzle to clean mine.
Checked that with the dash out as well, clean inside. Blew out all the dust and such while I had things apart.

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
I dont know about first gens, mine has always sucked at blowing air. Even after replacing it with an aftermarket motor.
After comparing it with newer cars, the Rodeo motor on high, is like another motor on 1 or 2 setting. :(

·
Premium Member
4,350 Posts
my 1st gen blows great, and keep your minds out of the gutter for christ sake!

cheers
-Ian

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
X2 all above, then:

Your fan switch has three positions which correspond to to a resistor pack. The resistor pack is composed of at least two resistors. One for low speed, the highest resistance; the other for medium speed of lower resistance, with high speed direct to 12 VDC.

So check your resistors for continuity! Your low speed may mean it's operating through the low speed resistor only.

Hope this helps,

GB :)

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
gb89amigo said:
Your fan switch has three positions which correspond to to a resistor pack. The resistor pack is composed of at least two resistors. One for low speed, the highest resistance; the other for medium speed of lower resistance, with high speed direct to 12 VDC.

So check your resistors for continuity! Your low speed may mean it's operating through the low speed resistor only.

Hope this helps,

GB :)
Well cranked all the way up to 4 it doesn't blow like I think it should (compared to others), but now that you mention it I haven't checked to see if I get a consistent change from level to level as the switch moves. I'll have to check that...then check the resistors as necessary.

·
Registered
11,467 Posts
I hate the blower on 2nd gen rodeos. On full power its about half my E-250 work van puts out. On a cold wet day with 2 ppl inside it barely keeps the windshield clear enough to see out of on full defrost. Side windows only defrost enough to see the mirrors.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Alright so the news is...it will turn on with the first level and then stay at that level through all motions of the switch.

So am I to understand that my lower level resistor is good and the others are shot...?

If so how is it that the straight 12V (or level 4) not crank it up all of a sudden?

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
I agree.

The way it blows, sucks.

I have already put a toggle switch on mine, to turn the power completely off.

I don't like the way the factory setting, leaves the fan running on low, even when turned all the way off. So I now have a toggle switch that turns it completely off.

Next project on this bent, will be to bypass the resistors, and see if I can get any better flow out the defrost vents.

If so, the next step would be to use a rheostat to see if I can get variable speeds that actually mean anything.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I cleaned mine all out, and yeah it blows very weak. Only does good on normal and going 70 mph.

·
Registered
11,467 Posts
jaydubya2003 said:
Alright so the news is...it will turn on with the first level and then stay at that level through all motions of the switch.

So am I to understand that my lower level resistor is good and the others are shot...?

If so how is it that the straight 12V (or level 4) not crank it up all of a sudden?
I would guess the switch is bad. Level 4 should be straight 12 volts not going through any resistors. You will have to measure the voltage coming out of the switch at each setting to be sure and see what happens. Could also be a bad motor.

·
Registered
3,980 Posts
Is everyone else's blower motor weak as hell!?!?
MOTOR???? You mean there's a motor in there! I thought I had a 22 year old squirrel in a cage!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.