Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I know on some trucks people get rid of there egr. Why is this?? And what does the egr really doo. I know it goes into the exhaust and has to do with emmissons and I don't live where they test for then here. So I guess what im asking is can I delet my egr and have it not effect anything. As I know someone will ask why, it's because I hate messing with the pipe going into to intake manifold. It might be a stupid idea, but I had to ask about it.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Nope, they don't really need it. It's emissions horse****, recirculating exhaust back into the chamber to reduce combustible materials, thus lowering emissions. There may be other purposes for it, but I can't think of any myself.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's what I thought too. But google seems to say it lets hot air burn and blah blah. To me it seems like it make my intake dirtier and Hotter. Not sure bout the hot part but the dirtier I am. I'v seen what's in my egr. You know how to block it? I was thinking just unbolting it from the headers and put a 1/16in peice of steel cut to shape, with a gasket. Then on the intake manifold I'll get a bolt the same size as the one on the pipe to block the bottom. On the top where the egr is itself id make a plate like I did for the header. Other wise because I know that the egr does give air to the intake, on the top peice id get one of those small, small cone filters for like a blow off valve. And then use that so it can get its air when needed..... Hope someone can follow along with that. Lol

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Dunno, haven't blocked one in any newer vehicles, just older ones that had the EGR in the intake. On a cast intake, I'd braze it closed, and on an aluminum, I'd have someone heli-arc it for me.

You do understand that the term "newer", for me, is anything that uses computer controlled injection of any kind, right? :) I'm not sure what blocking the EGR would do to the O2 sensor readings, whether it would make a difference in the mixture or not.

[EDIT]
Just read that Wiki thing you mentioned. The key phrase, at last for me, was "can theoretically increase the efficiency of gasoline engines".

A properly operating EGR can theoretically increase the efficiency of gasoline engines via several mechanisms:

Reduced throttling losses. The addition of inert exhaust gas into the intake system means that for a given power output, the throttle plate must be opened further, resulting in increased inlet manifold pressure and reduced throttling losses.
Reduced heat rejection. Lowered peak combustion temperatures not only reduces NOx formation, it also reduces the loss of thermal energy to combustion chamber surfaces, leaving more available for conversion to mechanical work during the expansion stroke.
Reduced chemical dissociation. The lower peak temperatures result in more of the released energy remaining as sensible energy near TDC, rather than being bound up (early in the expansion stroke) in the dissociation of combustion products. This effect is minor compared to the first two.

It also decreases the efficiency of gasoline engines via at least one more mechanism:

Reduced specific heat ratio. A lean intake charge has a higher specific heat ratio than an EGR mixture. A reduction of specific heat ratio reduces the amount of energy that can be extracted by the piston.
To me, this basically reads "The reduction in performance and economy caused by EPA mandated EGR systems in vehicles can, to an extent, be compensated for by advancing the timing".

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
I blocked mine off for about 6-8 months now. I'm not positive its due to blocking it off but my mileage went from 158 per tank to 220 per tank. The only thing changed is the block off. I bought a nice billet block off plate.

3rd one down in this link...

http://www.custombilletworks.com/products.php
CPI_EGR.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Lol. Newer..... Well Unfortunatly I can't weld yet and I want to make it so if I have to put it back on I can. I don't think it will mess with te O2's but it will with the egr plug it self.

I wonder if I just cut the egr pipe about 2inchs below where it bolts in. And the but the little air filter on that. Makes thing way easier and can still get that intake off easy. Id still block the top and stuff

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
All you need to do is block off the top. Takes 4-5 mins...

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ohhh. Okayyy. Now won't that throw a code up or something ?

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Yeah but I dont think there is a way around that.

·
Registered
928 Posts
I've wanted to do this too, the EGR's been nothing but problems for me...
So you haven't been able to shut off the check engine light? I don't want it on all the time, esp when I have to get an inspection
2000 trooper 3.5

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Yeah I've learned to live with it. I swapped back to egr right before inspection, then swapped right back after. I blocked it off after cleaning my intake and seeing all that crud that was going in my engine :roll: .

Also just to keep everyone happy....."Off-Road use only"....

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Damn that sucksss. But oh well did you block the pipe where it goes into the header?

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
no need to, There is nowhere the exhaust gases can go. When you take the egr off there is two holes under the egr, When the egr opens it lets exhaust come up through the back hole into the egr valve and down the front hole into the intake. So blocking it off stops all flow. They do make a restrictor Plate which may be a better idea for some.
CPI%20Restrictor_small.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ohhh ohhhh I seeee

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Removing EGR will increase combustion temperature and increase NOx emissions. The reason to use exhaust gas is that is has no material that can support combustion. So if you introduce it into the intake in a measured amount when the piston brings in an air/fuel mix some if it will be displaced by exhaust gas thus making for a mixture with less energy that will make less heat.

Having an EGR that works right will reduce combustion temp, pinging and increase cruise fuel economy.

If you having clogging issues then make sure your not burning oil or burning rich.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That's I'll my car does is burn oil. Isuzus have that problem because of there piston ringss

·
Registered
9,936 Posts
Yeah, my VX with the oil burning 3.5 started giving me EGR stuck open codes around 77,000 miles. I swapped out the EGR and the codes cleared. With oil burners you need to replace or at least clean out your EGR every now and again I would think.

Onebadtrooper, what motor are you running that you blocked the EGR with?

Bart

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm going throught almost a 1/2 quart per tank. (on highway. And 2,250 rpm's)

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Actually yesterday I got some rotella. 15-30. So I'm hoping that will help but who knowsss. As for the egr in gonna look at it today when I get home from school in 30 min or so. Im thinking about just taking it out. To see what happens.

1 - 20 of 93 Posts