Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I originally posted this on expeditionportal.com and datrupr over there suggested that you guys over here might have some good input on this.

I've been searching for a nice reliable off road vehicle that i could take on trips...perhaps even do some of those central and south american trips...definitely mexico and the western US. I have it narrowed down to a 80 series landcruiser or a 98+ Trooper.

My main concern about the trooper is how easy do you guys think it would be to find parts for it in central and south america? I figure the LC wouldn't be a problem but i don't want to start building up a vehicle and find out a couple years down the road when i'm ready for the more remote expeditions that i might have trouble finding parts if something goes wrong.

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,831 Posts
the thing with Zu's is that when you exit the great US of A you find the names change. the machine stays the same (basically) but the name changes.
I would say, familiarize yourself with what you have and what it is called where you are and then search. This may help:

http://www.xs4all.nl/~mjs/isuzun.html

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks RodeoRed,

That's some really good info there...i knew it was sold as the Holden Jackaroo in Australia but didn't realize it was sold under the Chevy Trooper in Latin America.

Thanks!

·
Registered
135 Posts
Yeah, that is interesting info. I wasn't necessarily looking for it, but I like learning about that sort of thing.

And not to hijack the thread, but was there a reason for the Passport*? If there's a link to that story, I'd like to read it.

* what I mean is, since Isuzu was doing the Rodeo already ... was it a Dodge Omni/VW Rabbit sort of thing- same basic car, different label?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Yeah, Honda at the time did not have an SUV for the North American market, and Isuzu did not have a minivan. So, the worked out kind of a trade type thing, Honda got a rebadged Rodeo called the Passport, and Isuzu got a rebadged Oddessy called the Oasis. Honda also got a version of the Trooper they sold under the Acura label called the????? I don't remeber the name, but I want to say MDX, but that is the current Acura model. I don't remember, sorry. :oops:

·
Registered
894 Posts
I have no clue about parts availability south of the border. In fact I often wonder about parts availability north of the border in a few years with Isuzu's shrinking presence. :wink:

I personally would be more concerned about RELIABILITY. Seems Troopers do well as do Toyotas in general. So either one should work. Just do as much preventative maintenance as possible before your trips. That and carry along parts that may be consumed like filters and ones that may break but may be hard to find let alone on short notice (e.g. OEM alternator, wheel bearings, IMG, mode switch, etc.).

You may also want to consider a diesel. Again I don't know much about fuel options elsewhere but diesel may be more standard in other countries. If true that may tend to rule out a USA sourced Trooper.

Bottom line -build either well, carry the right parts and you may never need buy anything while on tour. Alternatively, if you plan to buy parts locally you may end up having to do just that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.