Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2001 Rodeo LS has a horrible smell inside the cabin and I can't find the origin. Has anyone else has this happen and what did you do to correct it?

Thanks,
Harry

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
I know Smiley went through this not long back. He ended up pulling the carpet out and washing the bare interoir and then washing the carpet only to not put it back in.

Joe

There is a good chance there has been a spill that's gone sour.

Or

You don't have any real good friends that would put nasty things in your defroster vents like sardines?

Joe

·
Premium Member
5,577 Posts
I've heard that you should slice a lemon and put open slices of it in the car every day. Something about it absorbes or freshens or does whatever process to make the car not smell bad (and not smell like lemons). It apparently takes a couple of weeks, but for $0.50 worth of lemons I'd certainly try it.

-Tad

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Check under your seats.

If after you located and cleaned your smell and it still stinks try this.
Go buy a Ozone generator. They are a little pricy but more than worth
it. EcoQuest is one manufacture they used to be Alpine Air. I do
"non profit" distribution for them.

They take a while to get rid of the odor but when its gone its gone.
Not just covered up.

My friend is still thanking me. He had his wifes cousin from Europe who
refused to bathe stay with them for a month. 'nuff said.

I use it to get rid of mildew smell in my Mazda from when it rained and
left my windows open. I put it on high and let it run for 3 days.

·
Registered
19 Posts
This is going to sound crazy but every night for a week place a cup filled with vinager in it for a week. Close the windows. In the morning remove it prior to driving but when you park it for the night place the vinager back in.

I did this and it removed the cigar smell and puke smell in my rodeo.

·
Registered
327 Posts
djtme123 said:
This is going to sound crazy but every night for a week place a cup filled with vinager in it for a week. Close the windows. In the morning remove it prior to driving but when you park it for the night place the vinager back in.

I did this and it removed the cigar smell and puke smell in my rodeo.
Wouldn't it have been easier to just stop smoking cigars and puking in your Rodeo?? :twisted:

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
The big problem here is not getting rid of the smell. It's getting rid of the source of the smell.

You can work and work trying to rid your truck of the smell and be fighting a loosing battle if you don't find the source.

Say you are leaking water into the interior, you can mask and spray and try to get rid of that smell, but if the water is still leaking in it won't go away.

You need to find the source and fix it, then work on getting rid of the smell.

Joe

·
Registered
59 Posts
Any chance you've got a dead mouse or other wildlife somewhere in the cab? My Trooper smells of incontinent dog courtesy of the previous owner, I've taken the carpet out of the back and washed it and it's a little better, the front needs doing once I've cured the leak in the drivers footwell. I have a BIG air freshener and use some stuff called Fabreze which is a fabric/carpet deodoriser regularly but frankly it still smells like a real mans truck!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Can you tell me about the leak in the drivers footwell. My wife said she felt something fall on her foot while driving.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My 90 trooper smelled like a dog for a year after I bought it. People kept asking if I had a dog....The smell even out lived the dog! ...good 'ol pepper...

·
Registered
36 Posts
haraki74 said:
My 2001 Rodeo LS has a horrible smell inside the cabin and I can't find the origin. Has anyone else has this happen and what did you do to correct it?

CAn you define horrible smell any better?? My heater core Would leak and smell, but coolant IS a familiar smell. I had to pull out my carpet. Scrub everything down, next step is paint it with bedliner. But its a work rig/toy so I don't need carpet.

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
Wash the upper lip maybe?

I duno.

Jim

·
Premium Member
5,577 Posts
We had a member at one time that started his 2nd gen Amigo when a skunk was under the engine. The skunk got wrapped up in the belt system and it just shredded the animal. The smell went right into the vent and he couldn't get rid of it. As I recall he went to a place that did ozone treatments to de-smell cars. They put the car inside what was basically a paint booth overnight with their high-strength ozone generator. It fixed it.

-Tad

·
Premium Member
3,579 Posts
bigpoppax2 said:
I know Smiley went through this not long back. He ended up pulling the carpet out and washing the bare interoir and then washing the carpet only to not put it back in.
True, except for the highlighted portion...
Once I saw the underside of the carpet, with black mold growing all over it, I didn't bother trying to save it - I took it straight to the curb.

In my case, the source of the problem was a leaking soft-sided cooler. --- I figured (wrongly) that my deep-groove rubber floor mats would catch any condensation or leakage… Instead, some of the liquid seeped in under the driver’s seat and started stinking within a matter of days… After about a week, I couldn’t take it anymore and removed the carpet from the passenger compartment â€" all of it. --- Its had nekid floorboards ever since.

Cheers!
Smiley

·
Registered
21 Posts
A DOUCHE?......THESE R SOME of the best stories (and nothing but!!) that i have heard in awhile......go see a dealer and their detailler.....do it right the first time.......and lemon peels, jesus......

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
Well, as the ol saying goes, dont knock it till you tried it.

Jim

·
Registered
7 Posts
pittbulltrooper said:
A DOUCHE?......THESE R SOME of the best stories (and nothing but!!) that i have heard in awhile......go see a dealer and their detailler.....do it right the first time.......and lemon peels, jesus......
Let me tell you a little story.....Back in the 80's I had a German Shepard. He used to love to get into trouble and had a knack for catching rabbits and other small animals and taking them home to me as "presents". He also used to love to ride with me in my truck. One night I was going to the store. He was out in the back somewhere. I called out his name and he never came. This was very od especially since he used to come running once I started my truck. I called him again and seen him running across the field.As he got closer I noticed something in his mouth. Well he came running like a bat out of hell and jumped in the front seat of my truck with a?.....You guessed it a skunk!! The skunk was still alive and sprayed all over my front seat,door panels,rugs headliner you name it. I tried everything to clean the dog and interior of my truck.Tomato Juice, Lemons,the stuff they sell in the pet stores didnt even work. The truck was undrivable cause of the smell and the dog was not allowed in the house lol. Then a friend of mine told me to go buy a few bottles of Massengil. Bathe the Dog and use it to clean the interior. Low and behold it worked!!! The dog smelled...well like a dog again and the smell completly dissappeared from the cab of the truck and I was able to drive it once again.....So yes I can tell you first hand that it did work...Don't knock it till you try it!!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts