Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question...
Does my 95.5 Rodeo have an interference engine or a non-interference one?
Just wondering. That would determine, I suppose, how important it will be to change the timing belt, which has never been changed, and the car has over 133,000 miles on it.
Thanks!

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
AHHHH, Change it!!! Someone who has a Rodeo will chime in and tell you the same. I think that belt is really only good for like 50K, I maybe wrong. But if you have never changed it, I would strongly advise you do ASAP.

----Robbie

·
Registered
1,053 Posts

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
if it is the isuzu 3.2L V6 engine there is NO doubt
it is NON INTERFERENCE

if it is *ANY* engine in an isuzu
it is long overdue for a change

isuzu change intervals for these engines started out as
60,000 miles
changed to 75,000 miles
changed to 100,000 miles -- the later for the newer engines with newer belts iirc.

nevertheless, most will give you a 100,000 mile window for these engines/belts. and *do not* count on the noninterference part as being your pass around the board, because you will find yourself in isuzu jail anyway when that belt does go, or the water pump freezes and you have severed covers etc etc etc . you are running on borrowed time.

when you do the belt NOW you will do all at the same time
timing belt
timing belt tensioner
water pump
and the timing belt pulley if it needs it (on inspection, bearings)
and some seem to like to do the front cam seals at the same time

//bc

·
Registered
98 Posts
word to the wise: if occasionally you can hear a faint rattling sound coming from the front end of your engine STOP DRIVING IT thats the timing belt rattling against the cover b/c its worn!!!!! if that sucker brakes, its bye bye engine unless you are both a.) quite wealthy, and b.) strangly obsessed with keeping your Rodeo :lol:

·
Registered
98 Posts
another tip: if you can while ur there definately replace the tensioner and idler pulley b/c you don't want to go through all the effort to but the new belt in only to have the brand new one fail b/c of one of those components

·
Registered
601 Posts
trooperbc said:
it is NON INTERFERENCE

60,000 miles
changed to 75,000 miles
changed to 100,000 miles -- the later for the newer engines with newer belts iirc.

nevertheless, most will give you a 100,000 mile window for these engines/belts. and *do not* count on the noninterference part as being your pass around the board, because you will find yourself in isuzu jail anyway when that belt does go, or the water pump freezes and you have severed covers etc etc etc . you are running on borrowed time.

timing belt
timing belt tensioner
water pump

//bc
I also add to that list the front main oil seal. Might as well, you're already there.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I spent 2500 on my Rodeo to get the motor fixed from the timing belt. Long story, but one to show if you arent sure, take it to someone who is. On the bright side though, 88k miles and it has a rebuilt head. 1.5k in parts and 1k in labor.

:roll:

·
Registered
5,223 Posts
cornfedp said:
I spent 2500 on my Rodeo to get the motor fixed from the timing belt. Long story, but one to show if you arent sure, take it to someone who is. On the bright side though, 88k miles and it has a rebuilt head. 1.5k in parts and 1k in labor.

OH YEA YOU DONT WANT OT PUSH YOUR LUCK ON THAT ENG IT WILL COST YOU DEARLY,, IF ANYTHING ON THE FRT GOES BELLY UP AND THROWS THE BELT YOU HAVE HAD IT, , THE ISUZU V6 ALL OF THEM FROM 92 THRU THE 2004 ARE ALL NON INTERFERENCE ENGS EXCEPT ONE THE NEW 3.5 DI ENG THE MOST EXP TO FIX AND IT IS AN INTERFERENCE ENG, THEY OTHER ONES IF THE BELT BREAKS IT JUST HURTS YOUR PRIDE AND MAY GET YOU A LOT OF EXERCISE GOING FOR HELP WHEN IT BREAKS , I HAVE SEEN LOTS OF THOSE BELTS GO AN EASY 100.00O ++++ MILES AND NOT BREAK BUT AT 80-100 K WHO KNOWS ,
IN MOST CASES WITH A LITTLE MAINTANCE THAT IS ABOUT ALL YOU WILL SPEND , SO A NEW BELT WATER PUMP A COUPLE OF SEAL AND A NEW TENSIONER AND GO FOR A LONG TIME AGAIN, I ALLWAYS RECCOMMEND THESE THREE OR 4 PARTS AND USUALLY SELL THEM AS A PACKAGE , JERRY

·
Registered
98 Posts
GenXr said:
trooperbc said:
it is NON INTERFERENCE

60,000 miles
changed to 75,000 miles

timing belt
timing belt tensioner
water pump

//bc
I also add to that list the front main oil seal. Might as well, you're already there.
yeah definately replace that too and make sure you get the right one...advance auto parts kept selling me the cam plug and not the crank seal and obviously the cam plug will NOT fit :lol:

·
Registered
32 Posts
I replaced my timing belt and tensioner piston in my '00 Rodeo LS 3.2L back in 2004, at 63k miles. Yay, beginner's luck, it worked!

Last week I got another belt, tensioner piston, and a water pump for the 120k mile maintenance. All are Isuzu OEM parts. However, this time around, I got so excited about getting to the water pump that I forgot to align the timing before removing the timing belt. :oops: :oops:

I did my best to re-align (according to Haynes manual). After re-assembly, and much finger-crossing, the engine starts but runs REAL rough, sounds like it's coughing, check engine light is flashing. It is running sort of like a badly balanced lawnmower engine. The whole engine shakes.

So, I took it all back apart and tried re-aligning the timing again. Re-assembled, engine still runs REAL rough and sputters. Nonetheless, it runs and goes fairly high on RPM, although has little power.

There was some "resistance" turning the crankshaft with a wrench, and maybe not just compression stroke resistance. :cry:

I did manage to keep oil level and coolant level up after each change (water pump first, then double checked coolant situation on second re-alignment of timing belt).

Now, here's the deal and my questions:

1) The Haynes manual claims that the 3.2L is an interference engine! What gives? I see on the forum that consensus says it's NOT. This is a 2000 Rodeo LS 3.2L DOHC V6. Is it really non-interference?

2) Have I definitely bent/squashed/fracked/honked/@#[email protected]% the valves?

3) If I have NOT necessarily damaged the valves/valvetrain, what else could I damage by having the timing off like this? Head lift from bad timing?

Again, the motor runs, but really rough. Hopefully I'm just out of phase on one bank or the other, and I can fix it!

Please advise... if you have some experience in this area. Thanks.

·
Registered
276 Posts
so if my TB broke on me while driving i would damage the engine??
i dont get it....i hear its non interference......but still i hear that the engine will be no good...
i thought that you wouldnt have any damage to the head,valves etc. on a non interference engine.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
You won't damage them. But the engine won't run without a timing belt.

Your 3.2 should be fine, just search on here for trooperbc as the author and he has some factory diagrams that will help much better than the Haynes POS.

·
Registered
5,475 Posts
The 93-2004 3.2L engines ARE NON-interference. If the TB tensioner goes out it will sound like you're throwing a rod through the engine, BUT your truck/engine will be just fine. Put new parts in and go.

What JLEMOND is saying is the 2004 3.5L DI engine IS an INTERFERENCE engine, this is the one that can be damaged if the belt/tensioner fails.

FWIW - my waterpump went out, causing my tensioner to fail and threw the belt off by a tooth; truck still started but sounded god awful, I thought a rod was going to be thrown into the next centry. It was so bad/loud, the guy from 4 houses down came up to see if everything was ok, and we live on good sized properties. A day later and 5hrs of labor, truck's as good as new, with loads more power.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
ah the sophomore jinx.... :D
zoosrcool said:
Now, here's the deal and my questions:

1) The Haynes manual claims that the 3.2L is an interference engine! What gives? I see on the forum that consensus says it's NOT. This is a 2000 Rodeo LS 3.2L DOHC V6. Is it really non-interference?
yes

2) Have I definitely bent/squashed/fracked/honked/@#[email protected]% the valves?
no

3) If I have NOT necessarily damaged the valves/valvetrain, what else could I damage by having the timing off like this?
nothing.
Head lift from bad timing?
can't imagine that

Again, the motor runs, but really rough. Hopefully I'm just out of phase on one bank or the other, and I can fix it!
just redo it (it's good practice, right? and do it asap. you're not doing any interference damage, but you are probably running some cylinders with unburnt fuel some, etc. so don't let it go

good luck

//bc

p.s. if you need help setting the timing marks, look for the timing illustration i and others have posted, and look for JLEMOND posts on timing, and look for a link by boritz who wrote a comprehensive and many-picutured pdf on doing his trooper, same engine. ought to be very helpful maybe he will chime in with a link
//bc

·
Registered
260 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Thanks to JBH1989 and trooperbc for fixing the links above.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.