Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was needing a pork-fix and I had some Farmer-Style pork ribs (no bone) in the freezer that was getting a little old so I decided to cook them up.

I wanted something different - so I thawed out the whole 1 1/2 lb of boneless ribs and made a Chinese-style marinade of my own design.

Here's what I came up with::: :idea:

FIRST --- Get a good sealable Zip-Lock bag and into it put the following:
  • 1 cup of Kikoman soy sauce
    1/2 cup catsup
    A glug of cooking sherry or wine (either will do)
    2 tablespoons of dark brown sugar
    6 garlic cloves really REALLY chopped and crushed into almost a paste
    2 pieces of candied ginger, chopped, smashed and powdered as good as I could
Mix up all the ingredients by kneading the plastic bag without the meat inside it first until you've got a good paste-y goo and then put the pork into it and massage it for a few minutes again.

Put it in the refrigerator for a couple of hours, bringing it out when you remember to or between beers and re-massage it again a few times and let it suck the marinade flavors into it.

OK - here's where it gets interesting:::

I took some toothpicks - the round kind - and skewered one end of each chunk of meat and after raising one of the oven racks to it's highest position, I hung the meat from that rack evenly spaced out - from the toothpicks between the wires.

OK - it sounds weird. Just do it - it's all good.

The I took a large cookie sheet and put it UNDER the meat on the lowest rack to catch any drippings and turned the oven to 325ºF and baked the hanging meat for 1 1/2 hours.

Gawd! It is so tender and moist and the flavor is great.

I was tempted to baste the hanging pork with a little honey and water 50:50 mixture a few times, but I chickened out and just let it go as it was. I think it would be a good flavor enhancer too - but it's fine as it was.

I served it with fluffy white rice on the side and some microwaved Oriental vegetable mix from Bird's Eye.

Yup - this goes into my recipe book.

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
FossZ said:
interesting. where you get the idea of hanging them in the oven?
I think it was one of my 2AM epiphanies again. I dunnow - genius has no reason.

I think I'll wax my crown and scepter again.

·
Registered
546 Posts
If you dont feel like hanging them, you can do what I do when I bake meat in an oven and just raise them up out of the pan on a baking/cooling rack. Keeps the meat out of the fat and grease.

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I know - that's OK - but I was after not having any pan or container touching the sides of the meat to cause any hard spots or burnt areas.

Gotta admit hanging the meat was an interesting idea and it worked great.

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
Kikoman soy sauce makes all sorts of food taste yummy!

The wine and sugar on pork reminds me of sweet pork tocino (Filipino recipe). Its super delicious on top of rice.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.