Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would anyone want to buy an Tektronix 2221 60MHz o-scope? I have one in good working order.

These go for about $1300 it seems, as refurbs.

Downside is that I don't have any real probes for it. I have a makeshift probe that works fine for automotive work (testing alternators, etc).

I'm thinking maybe $750 but not sure yet.

·
Registered
7,528 Posts
750.00??? thats steep for something that does this:

wait for it......

wait for it......

oh wait, thats a KALEIDOSCOPE.....sorry....oh free bump TTT!!!

:wink:

Ron

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
Fujisawa Rob said:

It seems you should try selling that on a tektronics/oscilloscope forum.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Heh hehh

Selador AKA Tat said:
Fujisawa Rob said:

It seems you should try selling that on a tektronics/oscilloscope forum.

Yeah, probably would go over better there, but I know some folks use them for automotive diagnostics, or have another geeky hobby :)

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
Might also try amatuer radio junkies, an o-scope is gold for any radio tinkerer, but even they will be leary, $750 + s&h + calibration & round trip $&h = nearly $1k.

~psguardian

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
psguardian said:
Might also try amatuer radio junkies, an o-scope is gold for any radio tinkerer, but even they will be leary, $750 + s&h + calibration & round trip $&h = nearly $1k.

~psguardian
Hmm...hadn't considered calibration. I'm sure it's good enough for testing alternators but probably not for true electronics. What's calibration cost?

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
The one site I checked was $180 + round trip s&h.

The more advanced radio junkies may be able to do this at home (or with help of another junkie w/a calibrated o-scope for comparison), but this can't be counted on.

~psguardian

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
Fujisawa Rob said:
Heh hehh

Yeah, probably would go over better there, but I know some folks use them for automotive diagnostics, or have another geeky hobby :)
I've known guys that would sell their firstborn for that.

Me, I'd probably learn to use it. Then use it a time or three, and then it would sit forever.

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
I want one too (spring amatuer radio operator), cb is 11m radio freq (about 29mhz) & other radio equip module falls under 100mhz also. But I'm way too poor for another hobbie right now.

Troopers I own - 92 (needs work), 89(gutted hull), & am about to scrap the 89 to make room for another 89! Projects I have aplenty lol.

~psguardian

·
Registered
3,584 Posts
Car audio is another place people love those things :) I wanted one, but not anywhere near that price of one :shock:

·
Registered
2,707 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
In any case, that one is old and not calibrated. And a lot of brand new nice scopes available in $750 range. Especially for simple applications like audio works or alternator check :), but some of them is a very capable in lab service.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
psguardian said:
Yes it is. You would need to find a special buyer to get its worth.

~psguardian
Special ???

I don't think them guys on the short bus would have any idea what to do with an oscilliscope.

·
Registered
7,528 Posts
Selador AKA Tat said:
psguardian said:
Yes it is. You would need to find a special buyer to get its worth.

~psguardian
Special ???

I don't think them guys on the short bus would have any idea what to do with an oscilliscope.

thats where the KALEIDOSCOPE comes into play here.... (see above post by me :) )
and whats wrong with the short bus??? i rode one to school every day, along with my helmet and drool guard.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Fujisawa Rob said:
Would anyone want to buy an Tektronix 2221 60MHz o-scope? I have one in good working order.

Downside is that I don't have any real probes for it. I have a makeshift probe that works fine for automotive work (testing alternators, etc).

750 sounds incredibly steep. It was a nice scope in its day,and yes,there are still places that will sell you a refurbished one for 1000 bucks,but hobbyists will pay around 50 to 100 bucks for that. (I bought a similar one about 8 years ago for 100 bucks and resold it a few years later on ebay for about the same.) For 750 dollars you can get one of the low end Agilent or Techtronix scopes. They are all digital,have storage functions and their capabilities far exceed the old analog gear. In fact,there are cheap Chinese one for a couple hundred bucks that are better than that.

The companies selling them for a thousand dollars are the same kinds of companines that sell refurbished,or even new old stock 20 megabyte MFM hard disks like were used in the old PC-XT computers back in the 80s. Sometimes a company has used a piece of equipment for 20 years,then it brakes and cannot be repaired. Companies will pay a premium for obsolete equipment because to replace that with a newer piece of gear would require other things to be upgraded or expensive retraining. For instance,an old controller on a production line might run off a 20MB hard disk. Its obsolete,but if it goes out,thousands or tens of thousands of dollars of equipment would have to be upgraded to replace that one little PC with a modern piece of equipment.

Similarly,Imagine 20 lines each of which has one of those 2111 o-scopes on it to perform a test on the final product. Their last spare just died and now they are short one. They COULD just buy a brand new one,but that would require training 60 people to use it,and then having the new one on one line while the others have old ones. Maybe its ok,but maybe its a real pain. So the other option is to buy 20 new scopes and retrain everyone. Or,bite the bullet shell out 1000 dollars and buy refurb ,with a 90 day warranty,and put off the upgrade of them for another year.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts