Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I had to pull the intake manifold and plenum to get to the 3-way coolant hose that was leaking. I had just pulled the whole top end in October of last yr for some other problems (guess I shoulda replaced that as well....)

So was looking for opinions on whether I should get a new gasket or if the metal manifold gaskets that were on there should still be ok to put back on after 6-7 months? They look fine but I just don't know enough to know either way.

If I can just re-use the old ones then also opinions on just using RTV for the plenum gasket vs buying a new paper one?

Preciate any input.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Go ahead and get new gaskets. They are not that expensive compared to having to do it again if they leak and NEVER use RTV on the intake. I only use RTV on water passages. There are no water passages in the intake. Only air. The paper gaskets are plenty unless someone has messed up the gasket surfaces with a scraper or buffer.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks.

well I know they're cheap but I have to special order them so I'm going to have to miss a few days of work which I don't want to have to do if possible.

I have a buddy that does car repair that said a lot of newer cars actually come from the factory with just sealant on the intake. don't even have gaskets. and I've heard of other people that have used it. figured I'd see what opinions people had on here.

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
I have re-used my lower intake gaskets. They are tough, if you replaced them with the new Isuzu part# or with Fel-pro.
As long as you used the revised torque specs on it, they should be fine if it was just done in October.
But they are cheap, so it might be logical to buy new, to clear up any doubts of it failing early.
Since, you'll have to order it. Its up to you if you think its worth the wait. I would not use RTV for intake gaskets.. never.

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
Not sure if it applies to your year. But for the 2nd gens, they were lowered to 13 ft lbs. as opposed to 17.
But if you have the newer style gaskets or Fel-pro, it might still be ok.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
found a carquest that has the set so I don't have to wait a week or try gasket maker or something. just have to drive a ways to get it. oh well.

thanks for all the input.

the ones I had were fel-pro. not sure what the ones from carquest are yet.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.