Isuzu SUV Forum banner
41 - 60 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
I do agree that all springs sag. All i'm saying is that if I could get a full 2" with lift with 913's after measuring against some VERY good condition low mileage stock springs, there isn't any reason someone with high mileage beat-on springs shouldnt get 2" of lift with the 913's.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
clipper 03 rodeo said:
there isn't any reason someone with high mileage beat-on springs shouldnt get 2" of lift with the 913's.
that's true.

I am used to relatively low-mileage vehicles. My Rodeo was totaled when it was just 60+K miles. My current Axiom has only 40K miles. I use them extensively, and I put lots of mods in them, but I drive them only for recreation (camping trips and the trail riding). This is why they may see lots of new coils/shocks/etc in their lives but not many miles. I am always comparing to the "new" vehicle height.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Good info. Thanks!!

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Finally got around to doing this today. Good write up too. I too spent about 30 minutes messing with the upper link bolt trying to get both side in, but then I gave up and went inside to get a drink. As I was surveying the situation while having said drink, I had an epiphany. This is what I came up with:

C-Clamp baby!

If you can get the upper link close enough in the bracket, just slap on the c-clamp and tighten, it should line up pretty well. I had one side in already, so it lined up smooth like butter. If you choose to do this, make sure you use the curved part of the clamp on the back of the bracket to hold the upper link in place, otherwise it will keep slipping out when you tighten the clamp.

Sort of like this:

notice how the upper link is being held by the curved part and not the actual clamp part. I hope this saves someone the trouble I went through (if you look in the pic you can see all the scratches I put in/around the bracket).

On a side note: oddly the driver's side only added a 1&1/4" where the passenger's side went up 2". I checked the front and both sat level, so I'm sort of wondering what's up with that?

Reactions: steve600cc

·
Registered
119 Posts
What year Trooper springs will work for this? My Assumption was 98-2005 but no one ever clearly stated this fact. I tried to use my auto zone app in the salvage yard Saturday and remembered they don't sell our suspension so I couldn't verify if they were the same part #. Waiting on a possible deal with BlackBeauty's lift and didn't want to spend cash on a new lift If I'm buying his. Also wife needs a 2" lift to fit her new tires and bf was looking for a cheap 2" lift to gain necessary clearance.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
98-02 Trooper springs will work, the Trooper was discontinued in 2002.

·
Registered
877 Posts
'97 will work. Any Trooper with coil springs in the rear.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I was a little concerned as the 95 Trooper that I was looking at had Coil Springs in the rear and they didn't appear to be the same size. This could be due to age and wear , but wanted to confirm before snagging them.

·
Registered
877 Posts
yes, an older trooper would probably have more sag because age and wear.

·
Registered
633 Posts
CatFuzz said:
A spring compressor is going to be more of a hassle. It's not hard to drop the axle.

I'd be curious to see the results on the Sport. Seems like that's an even lighter rig and the lift is going to be a bit higher.
I used a spring compressor for mine and i can swap my springs in about 30 minutes, granted i have a trooper, but all i do is clamp on the compressor, remover bolts and lower swaybar link bolts, take some weight off the axle by jacking up on the frame until the swaybar and shocks slide off, continue to jack the frame up until the springs fall out, remove your compressors, put them on the new springs and slide them in then reverse the process, nothin to it and you dont have to disconnect more than necissary, although this may be a good time to grease up all your link bushings if your feeling froggy ;-) just my opinion...

I also have my stock springs CHEAp if anyone is intersted...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Please help!! My 2001 Rodeo 4x4, is (scary) to drive.... I've replaced upper and lower ball joints, tie rods and shocks. This thing has soo much body roll its scary. Is there a fix for this, or should I just sell it?

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Start a new thread for that with distinct subject, and with more detailed description of the truck history and the maintenance state. Somebody will help you.

·
Registered
506 Posts
so for this method i take it strut compressors arent necessary? even if im replacing both the springs and shocks? i have an 01 rodeo I'm lifting and would like to do it as cheaply as possible and now that all the parts are in the mail ild rather not pay someone to do the brakes, exhaust and a lift and i have almost all the tools just not a mcpherson.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
calebduff1 said:
so for this method i take it strut compressors arent necessary?
Absolutely not. Moreover, I believe that with struts compressors it would take more time than with the described here method. Just follow the instructions. You need just wrenches, a jack and jackstands.

Reactions: calebduff1

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Yes, the stock brake line is too short and the stock attachment is not allowing full suspension extension. You have either replace the brake line for a longer one, or modify the attachment point (with the brake extension).

·
Registered
633 Posts
Spring compressors are like 15 bucks at any parts store, i pretty much had to use them the first time because the jeep springs i used were like 8 inches longer than stock trooper springs eliminating my need for any sort of retainers at full flex. theres noway it takes longer, but i dont reccomend using them if you never had before, if one of them lets loose someone or something can get hurt but as far as time, come on guys, all you have to disconnect is your shock and brake/ebrake lines, clamp spring compressors on and jack the truck up and the old springs pop out, same with putting new back in, clamp em down, slide em in, unclamp, bolt ur shocks back up, crank your tbars, flip your bjs and drive it like you stole it...the process explained is a little better for your average do it your selfer nad will get you more familiar with your ride and everything anyhow.

i agree with the brakeline extension, you cannot run stock lines with extended shocks, only stock shocks...

i never had a coil rodeo but everyone says the trooper springs give you around 2 inches maybe ??? someone actually bought mine to lift thier rodeo said it ave him like 1.5" but i have no idea, theyre really easy to swap, front jeep coils and fullsize truck front coils are some good ones to try if you can come by some cheap but after experimenting, i gotta say calmini and ome make some serisously nice stuff if you have the cash...

41 - 60 of 76 Posts