Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible for me to find a sunroof and headliner from a LS in a junkyard, and install it on my truck? i know i wouldent be able to mess up cutting the hole, but is there something different about the roof of a ls? now for wiring it, isnt it true that most base models are kinda wired to install higher model stuff? or would i have to figure out all the wiring for myself? after seeing a ls and its huge sunroof, i must have one :)

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
I seem to remember Jerry saying that the roof structures are different on Troopers with sun roofs. I suggest that you PM him, but I do not think that it is a good idea based on what I recall.

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
Hack said:
I seem to remember Jerry saying that the roof structures are different on Troopers with sun roofs. I suggest that you PM him, but I do not think that it is a good idea based on what I recall.
Hack is right.

Any vehicle with a Factory Sunroof will have braces in the roof for a stronger roof to hold up the roof. My rodeo is being prepped for a sunroof install and I have to pay a ton for them to brace the roof a little extra and make all the goodies for it to be a power vent/slider.

My advice is to go with an aftermarket unit, and have it professionally installed. It is not easy and slightest mistake becomes a huge problem. I thought about doing it my self, but its best to leave it to the professionals here.

Good luck though Paul :D :D

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
:(
ill have to look at the JY at the differences in roofs... i have a bunch of steel stock layin around and am pretty good with a welder :D

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
pmat said:
:(
ill have to look at the JY at the differences in roofs... i have a bunch of steel stock layin around and am pretty good with a welder :D
brace the roof your self but I advise you to have the sunroof cut and professionally installed at all costs. There is a good place by me to have it done, and I am probably having mine installed by Honda at the Service Center. I'll check and see if they can do your SLX :lol:

Best advice I got for you man, is to let the pros do it all. But I know how you are so you will probably end up doing most of your own work :lol:

·
Registered
504 Posts
DON'T do a sun roof....i own my own auto glass company and i have run into SO many problems with aftermarket sun roofs. everything from rust caused by cutting the hole in the roof, damaged headliners, leaking water, the big one is if you ever break the glass getting a new one is a huge nightmare. there are tons of aftermarket kits available and it is hard to tell which brand any one installer will use. i installed the sunroofs for safelite corp and they didn't really take the care needed for that install. if you want a factory sunroof you will need to replace the WHOLE roof from a junkyard donor. big job for sure...sunroofs are COOL i have one in my rodeo and love it but it came factory......just my 2 cents

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
my rodeo's frame will rust before the sunroof will. :lol: :lol: :lol:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts