Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible / has anyone tried / why can't I run an aftermarket inline fuel pump on my Trooper?

Seems like one could replace the pump (and filter, if needed) with something more reliable and easier to service. Could probably even use the same wire harness...

Is the problem that the vacuum / suction from the inline pump would collapse the hose between the pump and the tank?

Any other thoughts?

·
Registered
11,705 Posts
You could probably do it with a strong enough pump. You want one with a bypass / return feature which sends unused fuel back to the tank. Don't know about pulling fuel through the old pump. Probably a good idea to pull the old pump and extend the pickup tube to the same length it is with the old pump. You'll also do better if you get the inline pump as near the tank as possible. They are designed more so to push than pull fuel.

·
Registered
555 Posts
chuffer said:
Is it possible / has anyone tried / why can't I run an aftermarket inline fuel pump on my Trooper?

Seems like one could replace the pump (and filter, if needed) with something more reliable and easier to service. Could probably even use the same wire harness...

Is the problem that the vacuum / suction from the inline pump would collapse the hose between the pump and the tank?

Any other thoughts?
Old carburated cars used to do that. They had a problem where the fuel could vaporize in the lines on a hot day and the pump would not pull any fuel and you would be stuck. Thats one reason they went to pumps in the tank. (It used to be bolted to the side of the engine run off the cam shaft) The other problem is pressure. If you draw to much fuel,you wont collapse the line,you will boil the fuel,get gas in the line and then the fuel pump will stop drawing fuel. This happens because at low pressures gasoline will boil at normal temperatures that your car has to operate in.

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
1st You would have to find an inline pump made for EFI that can maintain 40-50psi.
2nd will be the problem of pulling fuel through the old pump which is still in the fuel line in the tank. To fix that you have to drop the tank anyway so why not do it right.

As far as being unreliable the stock OEM pumps are good for 100-150k miles. That's pretty reliable for something electrical that's submerged in gasoline.

If you have EFI fuel line I doubt you'll suck it flat. If you don't have EFI fuel line then it needs t be replaced.

·
Registered
29 Posts
in regards to the pump, I have dropped my 89' tank, the pump is definitely dead. I have seen replacement pumps ($35-60)and replacement units ($200-up), are the pumps worth messing with, or it is just best to bite the bullet and buy the unit? I'm trying to get a pretty dead trooper at least running, if not road worthy.

·
Registered
11,705 Posts
icutice said:
in regards to the pump, I have dropped my 89' tank, the pump is definitely dead. I have seen replacement pumps ($35-60)and replacement units ($200-up), are the pumps worth messing with, or it is just best to bite the bullet and buy the unit? I'm trying to get a pretty dead trooper at least running, if not road worthy.
The pump is replaceable so that being the case, I would opt for the pump and not the "unit". Inspect the sediment screen and replace if necessary. I would also buy about a foot of fuel injection grade fuel line and replace those 2? little sections in the unit.

·
Registered
54 Posts
icutice said:
I just picked up a pump today and NAPA which was the least expensive out of about 4 other auto part stores at $79.00 + tax. I thought about the inline pump myself and figured if I'm going to have to drop the tank for a pick up tube I might as well replace the pump and be done with it. The strainer was about 19.00.

·
Registered
555 Posts
watchdog said:
icutice said:
I just picked up a pump today and NAPA which was the least expensive out of about 4 other auto part stores at $79.00 + tax. I thought about the inline pump myself and figured if I'm going to have to drop the tank for a pick up tube I might as well replace the pump and be done with it. The strainer was about 19.00.
Ive heard horror stories about the cheap rebuilt ones sold at the chain stores like Autozone and Pepboys. Napa sells good parts though. Ive never had a bad part from them,so hopefully its a good one.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts