Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a strong feeling that we will have to replace the injectors on the 2.6, anyone have any good tips on checking them out and an easy method of replacing them? It seems that one of them is leaking, verified by the sooty plug on one cylinder, plugs and wires were replaced.

·
Registered
3,980 Posts
Don't know an easy way to test the injectors. Noid lights will test the connectors/harness. But, swapping them is simple. You don't have to pull the plenum/intake off to swap the injectors. You can pull the just the throttle body off and that will give you access to the fuel rail. Take the two bolts out of the fuel rail and remove the banjo fitting on the end (be sure to grab the washers on the banjo fitting, one on each side) Unplug the connectors and pull them out.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
something that is actually easy on this engine? It seems that either my hands are too big or my fingers are too short, nothing has been easy. In any case, thanks for the reply, might pull them this weekend.

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
Generally they just need cleaning. They are 20+ years old after all. Send them out or take them to a place local to have them cleaned and flow matched. new ones aren't cheap and replacing them with junkyard ones is just replacing one dirty set for another.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
All above excellent advice. To save down time, if possible, you could get one or two sets of JY units. Have them cleaned and matched, hopefully then two sets of injectors will be available to change out with a minimum of overall down time.

Spares would be available for sale or future changes.

Don't know how long our 'Zu parts will be available!

What? Hoarding? No, it's preservation of the Legend!

GB :)

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I found a place that offers the parts so you can "rebuild" your own. What I plan on doing is test them to be sure they all work, if they do then get the rebuild kits. If not, then I guess I have to start shopping.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ordered the injector "rebuild kits" from Mr. Injector, a great guy to deal with. Email him with your needs as the Trooper injectors are not listed on his site, kit ran about $38.

Rebuilding them was not bad, although I ended up removing the common air chamber to reinstall them, it was much easier and I wish I had taken it off to remove them. The one possible problem would be with the EGR pipe but I got lucky and it came out with no problem.

Idle is smoother and the son says it much peppier. not 100% sure if it made the difference or the other things we did but it seems the little things are adding up.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just wanted to say THANK YOU!!! to all of you on this site.
I know nothing about cars and couldn't find a mechanic familiar with the direct inject engine. Everyone was telling me I needed to replace the injectors, but no one could find replacements (thank goodness).
So I decided to check the internet and stumbled on to your site.

Why didn't anyone outside of the cyberworld know you can test/clean injectors? What a lifesaver! We took the injectors to our local Carb guy who tested/cleaned them for $25 each. My BF just called to say my Rodeo did 100MPH without a hitch (YAY).

If you don't mind, I think I'll continue to "eavesdrop" on your forum... I'm learning lots of good things :D
Thanks again, Andi

1 - 8 of 8 Posts