Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,495 Posts
I'm just putting together an aftermarket one right now. I'll put a picture up later.

Still trying to decide on inclinometer/altimeter/outside temp, or inclinometer/compass/outside temp.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,350 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,043 Posts
wuish i had an altimetre for the past couple of weeks... at some point, I had my trooper at 3,000metres (10,000 feet) above sea level :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
221 Posts
My 1988 Diesel Jackaroo did have one until a couple of months ago ! When I went on the Gibb river road trip back in August the section of road between the Gibb itself and Drysdale river station shook it off the dashboard !
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,495 Posts
This is what I'm putting together for fun. Still might go with an altimeter instead of the compass. There are no 2 1/16" altimeters around, except some that were optional on some old Honda cycle that collectors are asking a grand for. There are lots of inexpensive aneroid barometers with around 2 1/4" faces though that would fit in the center with a little enlarging of the hole.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,467 Posts
I used to have a cheap one on my dash. But now my phone mount is there so it had to go away.



Chikoroll, notice the altitude on the GPS. Thats on the way back down. We normally get up around 12,000 ft on the trails here :mrgreen:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,350 Posts
Apeiron said:
This is what I'm putting together for fun. Still might go with an altimeter instead of the compass. There are no 2 1/16" altimeters around, except some that were optional on some old Honda cycle that collectors are asking a grand for. There are lots of inexpensive aneroid barometers with around 2 1/4" faces though that would fit in the center with a little enlarging of the hole.
now that is pretty cool!

cheers
-Ian :blackeye:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,495 Posts
Thanks :)

It's just the cheapest triple 2 1/16" pod I could find that didn't look too ricey.The inclinometer is a cheap $9 ebay unit that comes on its own little pedistal, but when you take it apart it's a snap-in fit. I found the heading reference compass in a boat shop. The diameter is right, but It's quite a bit longer than most automotive gauges, I had to bend the lighting tabs, and the bulb holder still hits the back of the pod. I'll have to heat it up and make a little bulge for clearance. The air temperature gauge is from Cyberdyne. I would have liked an analog display, but they're pretty expensive and the resolution isn't that great. Green would have been nice too, but they're hard to find in metric. I might use an extra sender and a switch on the front to make it an inside/outside display.

I've also got one of these old hand-held altimeters



Airguide isn't around anymore, but the exact same thing is still sold by Swift now. The outside of the dial is about 2 1/4" or so. It would fit the pod just fine if the center hole was enlarged to that side, and the dial would still stick out enough to turn it for calibration.

The other thought I had for it is to put a low-profile lighter socket on the back or side to power the GPS when it's on the window mount without a cable hanging down the front of the dash.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,495 Posts
Ah, the Rugged Ridge one? It's kind of more than a toy than an instrument.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,552 Posts
This is the optional Isuzu's Inclinometer :

inclinometer.jpg


IMG00207-20111005-2343.jpg


There my 2 cents :)
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,404 Posts
I've got a triple pod out of a montero that I have no idea what I'm going to do with it.. or how. I was toying with the idea of taking it apart, flipping the gauges and mounting it on the ceiling but I dont know. There just isnt much room on a trooper dash. Actually, it's really not much of a dash at all.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
827 Posts
Mine :D


 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,350 Posts
I tried like hell flipping the gauges and I cannot find a solution, so................

stusvend said:
I've got a triple pod out of a montero that I have no idea what I'm going to do with it.. or how. I was toying with the idea of taking it apart, flipping the gauges and mounting it on the ceiling but I dont know. There just isnt much room on a trooper dash. Actually, it's really not much of a dash at all.
This is what I am doing... http://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=55927 Tt will mount where the stereo currently is and I plan on getting a hideaway stereo to mount somewhere else, like this...http://www.ebay.com/itm/Secret-Audi...Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item19c93f2185

If I can get Cronk to help me build a bezel for the montero gauges, maybe I could make you one as well. I have been thinking of adding a voltmeter from an old corvette, preferably from a junk yard.

Then mounting in the bezel along with the montero multigauges... It should fit.

cheers
-Ian :blackeye:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,404 Posts
imamonstertruck said:
I tried like hell flipping the gauges and I cannot find a solution, so................

stusvend said:
I've got a triple pod out of a montero that I have no idea what I'm going to do with it.. or how. I was toying with the idea of taking it apart, flipping the gauges and mounting it on the ceiling but I dont know. There just isnt much room on a trooper dash. Actually, it's really not much of a dash at all.
This is what I am doing... http://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=55927 Tt will mount where the stereo currently is and I plan on getting a hideaway stereo to mount somewhere else, like this...http://www.ebay.com/itm/Secret-Audi...Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item19c93f2185

If I can get Cronk to help me build a bezel for the montero gauges, maybe I could make you one as well. I have been thinking of adding a voltmeter from an old corvette, preferably from a junk yard.

Then mounting in the bezel along with the montero multigauges... It should fit.

cheers
-Ian :blackeye:
Good thread. Yeah we pretty much have the same idea. I also thought about putting it where the stereo is and moving the stereo to the console or glovebox or something. I also wanted to get a battery meter like you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,350 Posts
stusvend said:
Good thread. Yeah we pretty much have the same idea. I also thought about putting it where the stereo is and moving the stereo to the console or glovebox or something. I also wanted to get a battery meter like you.
Well, I need to talk to Cronk and see when he is in town and if I can convince him that it would be good to help me with this making the Bezel of fiberglass, and I could do two of them as we go... that is if you would want the same setup of course. I have yet to find the voltmeter, but I know it is out there just waiting for me :D . I did measure and the stereo will mount under the multigauge box, that is if you have a 5speed, however I am not convinced it would be alright for the stereo unit to be in direct flow of the heater. May have to fill the two square holes in front of the heater box...

cheers
-Ian :blackeye:
 
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top