Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is it possible to install a cb in the dash below the ashtray, to the left of the power outlet and behind the shifter? there is an indentation little cubby type hole there and it provides a rather convenient flat spot.

has anyone taken the dash piece off there? is there anything behind it to prevent a cb from going in?

the one i just bought measures perfectly, i just don't know about the depth.

·
Registered
5,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no, i can't mount it under the stereo cause i have an aftermarket cd player and the available cubby hole is tiny.

i mean below the ashtray. (that website did provide the pic i was after though!)

·
Registered
280 Posts
There's not a whole lot of room behind that panel for a CB. You'll have just a few inches, at most. I'm speaking from my experience with my Trooper, which has a similar arangement.

You may be able to reroute some stuff, but you'd have to remove the panel to see for yourself just how much.

·
Registered
5,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah, i saw that today. i am going to try for the ashtray. the cb i bought is a little thing, so i hope it will fit.

i'll see soon!

·
Premium Member
5,577 Posts
Bruce (old time Planetisuzoo member) installed his in the lower DIN slot:

http://myweb.cableone.net/bcanderson/trooper/cb/cb.html

I installed mine there too:

I used the left factory bracket and cut a piece of plastic to fill the gap. Then I glued the plastic to the CB. The right side of the CB floats. It doesn't move around much.

I also installed an external speaker:

I'd install that Radio Shack speaker again in a heart-beat. It is very loud and quite clear.

-Tad

·
Registered
5,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
tad, do you think your would have fit in the ashtray hole?

·
Registered
5,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
also, i want to run the PA. (only for the novelty...i can't see a purpose for having a PA unless you're a cop...but i think they're fun!)

any reccomemations on speakers or installations? anyone done this?

·
Premium Member
5,577 Posts
I've run a PA in the past. It was fun at the drive through yelling at them as they yelled at me. I used a Radio Shack outdoor speaker for the PA mounted behind the bumper.

I'm not sure if this would fit where your ashtray is. My ashtray is a bit different. Can you measure the width of the hole for your ashtray?

-Tad

·
Registered
5,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i think this is gonna work out great...

the cb i bought is the Uniden pro 520. the dimensions of the unit are
4 1/2" wide, 6 1/2" deep and 1 3/8" tall.

the actual available opening for the ashtray is 4 5/8" wide (the ashtray is a bit smaller, so i have to trim), the depth available seems like forever at the top and the height available is something like 3"

as far as i can tell, i remove the ashtray unit completely make some sort of mounting bracket and pop the cb in! i also need to fab some sort of cover for below the cb where the ashtray would sit.

i will also no doubt need to hook up an external speaker so i can hear

i think its gonna look good.

i'll post some pics when i get it in.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts