Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a few questions about the brakes on my 94 Trooper.

1. There are 2 distinct types of caliper pins on each caliper. One is normal looking, the other has a funny bottom. I cleaned one of the pin holes out and found what appeared to be some sort of deteriorated rubber sleeve in the hole -- is there something that goes on this funny looking caliper pin???? If something is supposed to be attached to it, will I be ok not using it? Advance Auto parts looked up the part and found no illustration of anything on the funny pin -- but they're not exactly the world's authority on this either!

2. I'm having all my rotors resurfaced -- the rear brake pads needed replaced (metal on metal), but the front pads look nearly brand new. The problem is: there were some grooves in the front rotors (which is why I'm having them resurfaced) -- do I have to replace the brake pads as well? Obviously the brake material is softer than the rotors -- but are they capable of scoring the rotors if they have slight groove marks in them? They look to be ok pads, but I don't want to damage my new resurface job. Professional opions would be greatly appreciated!!!!

3. Is it ok to use high temp moly/lithium based grease on the caliper pins or is there something else that should be used???

Thanks in advance for any help on this project. At least if I do it right I won't have to mess with it for another 40k miles!

Michael

·
Registered
54 Posts
I don't have any experience with the brakes on a '94 Trooper. I will tell you that the grease should be fine, and there's no reason to turn rotors unless they are warped. Grooves will not hurt braking; in fact, they increase the braking surface area :).

·
Registered
591 Posts
Your best bet is to use a silicone based grease on brake parts, it stays sticky at high temps, wont melt, and wont destroy rubber brake parts.
G/luck
Joel

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.