Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found out that the new rebuilt head on my trooper is S.O.L, the #2 spark plug hole is too big for a helicoil or other types of sleeves. So all the money for rebuilding the head was a waste. So I might go tommorow to the savage yard and find another head, hopefully its in good shape, and then get another valve job, or at least resurfaced and pressure tested. But this time I will unbolt the intake and the other stuff on it, unless their is somthing blocking access to the intake bolts, But here we go again, and i hate the head word.

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
I'd be carefull of a junk-yard head. That's why most of them are in the junck-yard to start with.

Jim

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Only consider a salvage head if the casting number on the rear is 3 or higher.

Cheers,

·
Registered
7,209 Posts
Honestly save yourself the time and effort and just get an AMC head. Completely loaded with new valves and springs it's like 530 delievered. So bare casting can't be much over 390 or so, last I looked.

Joe

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just got back and didnt found anything, but i missed out on a set of snowflakes by 30mins or so, some guys were taking them off of a rodeo. :x . But i found some Aisin hubs, they were $26 for two of them, I will go back there and get them later after i find another head. What do yall think about welding the spark plug hole, redrilling and re tapping? Does this work?

·
Registered
7,209 Posts
Honestly save yourself the time and effort and just get an AMC head.

Look if you are going to depend on this truck at all, get an AMC head. If this is something you were going to drive around your farm, yeah then booger weld it and if it breaks you're not really out anything.

Aluminum can be welded, but the person that's doing the welding really has to know what they are doing.

My guess you'd pay almost as much getting it welded, drilled, and tapped for threads as you would in a new bare casting.

Joe

·
Registered
808 Posts
Dude save your self the hassle , GET AN AMC HEAD!!!! i have one and their great, puts the orginal one to shame.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I can only afford to do the weld for now, then when more money comes in i will buy a new head. I just dont have money to get a new complete head at this moment, AMC's complete head is $490, i dont know if shipping cost is added. But we will see.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks for the picture at Ebay, i have to redo my ebay account cause i forgot my password but most likley i will buy the head. Thanks yall.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.