Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
18 days, 6,500 miles, 25 National Parks/Sites

The 'Zu is a little worse for the wear, but she's still runnin'. The A/T Oil Temp light came on somewhere in the deserts Utah, in a 100 miles with no service zone. I pulled over, let it cool off, prayed about it, turned the key and it never came on the rest of the trip. Thought my transmission was about to fry! The check engine light flashed a ton, but I think that's due to the 85 octane gas out there more than anything, once I got back to the south, it was fine and hasn't come on in 3 or 4 days.

There is a strange grinding/grumbling sensation coming from under my floorboards, once I get rested, I'll check it out. It's gotten better since I've been back in town, and it doesn't occur when I'm changing gears, just when I'm driving, I could have the cruise set on 65 and I'll still feel it. But, as I said, it has gotten better now that I'm back in town and it's only driven a few miles in the past day or so.

More later, I'm really tired, but I'm glad to be back.

·
Registered
3,996 Posts
Awesome trip..

FYI --- when the trans temp light comes on it's probably best to put the truck in Park and let it idle till that light turns off, this keeps the fluids cycling especially if it has an external cooler or runs trans fluid through the radiator. Glad you didn't have any troubles!

·
Registered
8,073 Posts
Wow, quite a trip.

I see you were here in Minnesota. What did you do here?

·
Registered
827 Posts
Wow, could go around our country a half dozen times on that trip, the rumble could be as simple as a wheel bearing.
So jealous :wink:

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
That is quite a trip!

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mileage wasn't bad. We were incredibly weighed down, maybe 400-500 lb of gear. At times I'd get 21 mpg, and at times it was awful, around 15 mpg. I noticed it got the worst gas mileage out west when most of the gas was the crappy 85 octane with 10% ethanol.

Not too many shots of the 'Zu since the only people taking the pictures were the two of us in it.

Here's a few more pictures from the trip though. It really was incredible. Best of my life.

Like a good neighbor State Farm is there.

On the edge of The Great Salt Lake

Castle Valley, Utah

Badlands National Park

Devils Tower National Monument (Close Encounters of the Third Kind)

Forest in Yellowstone burned by wildfire in 1988, still recovering...

Camping in Yellowstone. New Tent, got down to 38 degrees that night.

Another Tatanka, Yellowstone

Grand Teton's

Me at Canyonlands

Dead Horse Point overlooking part of Canyonlands

The wife getting pretty close to the edge at Canyonlands.

Elk in Rocky Mountain National Park

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
I like the pics!

Are you using InstaGram?

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Mediamonkey11 said:
I like the pics!

Are you using InstaGram?
Thanks!

And nah, I used Hipstamatic. Basically the same thing as instagram, but I think Hipstamatic gives you a little more creative control.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sohc said:
Post the non-edited pictures...
:? :?:

Non-Edited? I didn't edit those. That's the type of camera I use on my iPhone. You can select different lenses, flashes & film types.

I do have pictures my wife took on her Nikon camera if that's what you're talking about. Will post those this afternoon or weekend.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Looks like you had a blast and got to see a lot of neat things. Hoping to take a trip like that sometime soon.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts