Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On one hand it's sad to see dead Troopers,on the other I get to practice on them before working on my RS. Once I figgered out how to get the brakes apart on the '93 Trooper, I moved on to a '94 Passport which had nearly perfect rotors. Now I have two sets of large calipers, backing plates and hoses, and one set of rotors.

Guess I got a little carried away.

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
I'm like a kid in a candy store at Pull and Save.

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
CatFuzz said:
I'm like a kid in a candy store at Pull and Save.
I end up looking for all kinds of goodies and not what I actually needed :lol:

·
Registered
407 Posts
I go there and am like oooohhhhhhhh aaaaahhhhhh that's nice. :D Last time I went shopping I came home with a rear hatch for my 240Z project. Just strolling along and HOLLY CRAP that's a nice Z!!!! I look at my wife and she is like oh yea party time. I did get some parts for the Trooper project too that day but hard to pass up an original rust free hatch for a 71 Z.

·
Registered
9,936 Posts
What did they charge you on all that? I find Pick & Pull to be a tad overpriced...but then again they know they got you by the balls.

Bart

·
Premium Member
4,350 Posts
nfpgasmask said:
What did they charge you on all that? I find Pick & Pull to be a tad overpriced...but then again they know they got you by the balls.

Bart
Louisville pull a part is reasonable. Especially compaired to Marshalls across the river in Clarksville IN. Now they are over priced. They wanted $65 per hub when I found a set of Aisins on an old rodeo... I told the man to shove it and he gave me hell because his yard guy took 45minutes to pull the parts. They suck. At pull a part I got the hubs for $35 a piece plus random bolts.

I usually get random stuff when I get there. You never know when you may need an extra bolt.

Nice find!

cheers
-Ian

·
Registered
9,936 Posts
Yeah, Pick & Pull here charges 39.99 per hub. I think for used stuff you gotta yank yourself, the price should be about half that....maybe I'm just a cheap old basterd.

Bart

·
Registered
9,936 Posts
Yeah, that would be nice. We just get screwed because Pick & Pull has a generic price list that they follow. Like "door trim panel" $60. When we all know that a door trim from a 1st gen Trooper is a crappy piece of cardboard, not a nice molded plastic trim piece from a modern car. So you get lumped with stuff that maybe should be more expensive...stupid.

Bart

·
Premium Member
4,350 Posts
It depends on who is at the counter I have found. There is one lady that doesnt even look at the charts or follow the pricing in the computer. She just ring stuff in at random and names her price, however, there is a guy that is by the book on everything, and he spends alot of time finding prices in the system. It can be hit or miss at the pull a part, at least you know you may get off cheap. At Marshalls, you know you will get screwed regardless.

cheers
-Ian

·
Registered
11,467 Posts
The pull and pay here has set price guides too. You can look at them HERE if you really want to. Their prices are pretty reasonable. I've had them just give some small parts before (washer sprayer nozzles etc). And sometimes you get a break if they dont know what it is lol. Found a hard to find skid plate for Mikes rodeo and they rang it up as a small bracket, $5.

·
Premium Member
4,350 Posts
Gizmo42 said:
Found a hard to find skid plate for Mikes rodeo and they rang it up as a small bracket, $5.
Got to love that man. Good stuff! :D

cheers
-Ian :blackeye:

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No you're not cheap. Cali pick n pulls are expensive.

Check this out. After spending three hours in the hot sun, sweating myself dry, bleeding from a cut while repeatedly asking myself why I'm doing this on my day off instead of mountain biking and swimming in the lake, I get to the register, the woman rings me out, going over everything with a fine tooth comb, then asks if I have the whatever the heck it's called card. I say no, she says oh too bad you could have saved 30%. No one mentioned this card to me and I've been there four times over the last two weeks. After two weeks I'm certain they know my face, as I was probably the only caucasian pulling parts, and no doubt the only old caucasion pulling parts. I was really irritated. I ask if I fill out the card now can I get the discount. She says no it's already rung through. So I ask to return the parts, thinking I'll fill out the card and then go through the line again. She say nope can't do that. I have now learned that if she is at the counter taking money, wait till she is not there. She is the one who rings up every bolt, screw and washer. I had a fellow ring me out last week who cut me huge slack. I mean, come on, I've got a small bag of misc bolts and screws, big frigging deal.

And to add insult to injury, they charged me a $3 core EACH for the four calipers and two rotors. !!!!!!! I know I won't have time to do the brake part swap in the next 30 days, so unless I find four calipers and two rotors in the next 30 days to turn in as cores, I'll be out $18 for USED parts that may or may not work. arrrgggghhhhh!!!!!

Anyway, I agree that they are charging too much.

I guess the upside is that new calipers and rotors are expensive, so I must have saved money, right? Right?? Please say yes.

nfpgasmask said:
Yeah, Pick & Pull here charges 39.99 per hub. I think for used stuff you gotta yank yourself, the price should be about half that....maybe I'm just a cheap old basterd.

Bart

·
Registered
4 Posts
A-ONE salvage in Ogden has been quite reasonable for me. I got my Aisins for $13.00 for the pair. A couple days ago I got my Y-pipe, muffler and tailpipe, intake tube and some interior trim for under $40.00. I also got my 16" snowflakes from there complete with tires for $120.00 the set. Reasonable prices + good service=:)

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
Pull a part here is pretty reasonable, as well.

Less than 7 bux per hub.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Wow, that's great. Any more 16" snowflakes there? I'm in need of two.

littlejimmy4892 said:
A-ONE salvage in Ogden has been quite reasonable for me. I got my Aisins for $13.00 for the pair. A couple days ago I got my Y-pipe, muffler and tailpipe, intake tube and some interior trim for under $40.00. I also got my 16" snowflakes from there complete with tires for $120.00 the set. Reasonable prices + good service=:)

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
Aisin, warn, superwinch, whatever. Brand doesn't matter. To their cash register, a hub is a hub.

Jay said:
Less than $7 for an Aisin manual hub? Wow!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Jay said:
Wow, that's great. Any more 16" snowflakes there? I'm in need of two.

littlejimmy4892 said:
I didn't notice any but next time I am there I will look.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Jay said:
She is the one who rings up every bolt, screw and washer. I had a fellow ring me out last week who cut me huge slack. I mean, come on, I've got a small bag of misc bolts and screws, big frigging deal.
jay, those things go in your pocket

Jay said:
And to add insult to injury, they charged me a $3 core EACH for the four calipers and two rotors. !!!!!!! I know I won't have time to do the brake part swap in the next 30 days, so unless I find four calipers and two rotors in the next 30 days to turn in as cores, I'll be out $18 for USED parts that may or may not work. arrrgggghhhhh!!!!!
yeah, the core charges are definitely a rip off. i had an argument/discussion once with the manager of one of the local P-Y-P about the core charges. without getting into details here, it's bogus. if someone really wanted to, they should find a lawyer that would be willing to file a class action law suit against all P-Y-P yards that have charged for cores. hope you've all saved your receipts

Jay said:
I guess the upside is that new calipers and rotors are expensive, so I must have saved money, right? Right?? Please say yes.
sure you saved money.

remember to get a rebuild kit for those calipers while they are out.
did you end up getting the brake booster off one of those rodeos?? if not you should. you pm'ed me about that installation and i did say it was fairly easy.

one last thing. do you use your Park tools to work on your trooper??

cheers, john

1 - 20 of 22 Posts