Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
677 Posts
There are turbo kits, cams, headers, machine shops to plane the heads, tune the valves, enlarge the pistons. But you still end up with only a few extra horses.

Go for the big swap... Drop an LS3 in it.

·
Registered
8,605 Posts
I wouldn't bother with much more than exhaust and air intake work. If you want serious performance your better off doing a motor swap unless you want to spend the money on custom made parts or having the stuff imported from australia, which is already very high. How much power are you looking for?

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
Trooper King said:
you can try to get the alpine supercharger the mpg on the supercharger is 4 on city and 3 on highway if you don't care about gas savings you might beat a couple of 4 bangers here and there.
And you have how much hands on personal experience with this unit? There are a couple of members here that have them. They might just disagree with you.

·
Registered
8,605 Posts
If you can get your hands on a kit right now, Robbamaz's kit is still somewhat expensive and you need to supply alot of parts.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
squatch said:
Trooper King said:
you can try to get the alpine supercharger the mpg on the supercharger is 4 on city and 3 on highway if you don't care about gas savings you might beat a couple of 4 bangers here and there.
And you have how much hands on personal experience with this unit? There are a couple of members here that have them. They might just disagree with you.
it's like buying a muscle car and has a stock engine to it and you want to put a monster engine to it yes you can get a lot of power but keep in mind that it's gonna eat up all your gas why because you put a monster engine to it and you think it's gonna spend the same amount as the stock engine wrong just like the alpine supercharger the gas mileage is not gonna be the same as a stock and you have to put premium gas on it and it doesn't take cheap gas. I'm I an expert no but its common sense big power = bad gas mileage. as for that I know about the supercharger I really don't know but I doubt that the same gas mileage as the stock.

·
Registered
8,073 Posts
Drive downhill all the time...

·
Registered
8,605 Posts
So the opposite of how my grandpa walked to school?

·
Registered
8,605 Posts
Ya I thought that was a given

·
Registered
202 Posts
Trooper King said:
squatch said:
Trooper King said:
it's like buying a muscle car and has a stock engine to it and you want to put a monster engine to it yes you can get a lot of power but keep in mind that it's gonna eat up all your gas why because you put a monster engine to it and you think it's gonna spend the same amount as the stock engine wrong just like the alpine supercharger the gas mileage is not gonna be the same as a stock and you have to put premium gas on it and it doesn't take cheap gas. I'm I an expert no but its common sense big power = bad gas mileage. as for that I know about the supercharger I really don't know but I doubt that the same gas mileage as the stock.
Actually more power doesn't always mean worse gas mileage. Horsepower is gained by making the motor more efficient, roller rockers = less resistance for more power, larger intake = less resistance and more volume and so on with most performance parts. The more efficient the motor runs the better fuel mileage. It's when you drive it like a formula 1 car that the fuel mileage goes down the drain. Modern motors are running extremely efficient and in turn make pretty damn good power and still make good fuel mileage if driven civil.

As for the troop I would rig up a K&N cold air and free flowing exhaust and see how you like that. And if not satisfied up grade to a newer trooper with the 210hp or 250hp motor.

·
Registered
8,605 Posts
yup, one of the reasons the LSx engine is so high on performance pedestals. You can make 500+hp and average 20+mpg.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
rodeo9two said:
Trooper King said:
squatch said:
Trooper King said:
Actually more power doesn't always mean worse gas mileage. Horsepower is gained by making the motor more efficient, roller rockers = less resistance for more power, larger intake = less resistance and more volume and so on with most performance parts. The more efficient the motor runs the better fuel mileage. It's when you drive it like a formula 1 car that the fuel mileage goes down the drain. Modern motors are running extremely efficient and in turn make pretty damn good power and still make good fuel mileage if driven civil.

As for the troop I would rig up a K&N cold air and free flowing exhaust and see how you like that. And if not satisfied up grade to a newer trooper with the 210hp or 250hp motor.
that coo I have a stupid coworker with a mustang cobra with some mods and he love to show of reving is engine excellerating etc when the gas was going up about almost 5 dollars a gallon and all like I can't deal with that gas I don't drive far this and that for almost a month bitching and all that and I told him because he got on my nerves repeating the same thing I told him why don't you drive a little bit more normal
instead of driving like a nascar driver and he says I ways drive normal and I said you're reving your engine and hauling *** like someone's racing you or something long story short as of today still bitching and doing the same thing. boy :roll:

·
Registered
555 Posts
SHINysHIZZNIZZ said:
lol
he said amateurs don't use nitrous oxide
i guess i cant use that
DANGER TO THE MANIFOLD Ha :lol:
Its all fun and games till someone throws a rod through the block.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Trooper King said:
squatch said:
Trooper King said:
I assume its going to be similar to any other engine. Most of the stuff you do gives you little buts. You do a lot of little stuff and it all adds up to something reasonable. If you want big gains,you have to go forced induction,but even that is going to be limited by your engine internals and maybe your transmission,and of course your going to need a way to get enough fuel to the engine and control the timing when your under boost. Either by reflashing the ecm,or some sort of piggy back setup that fools the ecm. Its all very doable,but expensive.

I am very impressed with the modern engines. A modern 3.8 (for instance,Hyundai engines) now get 330hp or so,and that's off regular gas. I was given a Genesis sedan when my car was in the shop and that thing could move.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts