Isuzu SUV Forum banner
201 - 220 of 250 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello all. I am sure there is a thread on here jam packed with pictures. However, this thread states that I can run 285/75r16 on my trooper without a lift. Will someone post/repost their pictures here. Thanks I purchased my trooper less than a week ago and I have been very impressed with its performance so far but the 245/75 look awful imo in those wheel wells.

·
Registered
373 Posts
good on the chart ya helped a lot of folks out I bet......................01 stormtrooper...........there ya go 285s with no lift ........all the of those pics are before I did coils and a crank

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was looking at the chart and I was wondering how much things change based on rims. I have a 2002 Isuzu Rodeo V6 5-speed that I recently picked up and I want to do it up right; functionality and looks. I want to run 32 inch Falken Wild Peaks, a good all-terrain since it's my daily driver. I also ordered 15 inch rims, I think they look better but they're 15x8; which I think is an inch wider than stock rims. They came in 3.5 backspacing, which I figured would give me a little extra to avoid trimming, but they're special order and it'll take 6-8 weeks. The 3.75 backspacing is kept in stock, are the others worth the wait or should I just go with the 3.75?

·
Registered
82 Posts
the lack of a backspacing column on the chart is fatal. most trucks ive had interfered on the frame at lock, and 15 mm of negative offset would cure the issue for the next size up tire. i dont know about troopes though, and really cant glean that from the chart.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
I think specific amounts of body and suspension lift are really important. If you crank up your torsion bars 3", your tire is still going to travel back up into the fenderwell the same distance as if you had no lift. With a body lift, you are moving the body away from the centerline of the suspension travel range of motion, and you can probably "use" the full range of motion with a larger tire better than you would with just a torsion bar crank suspension lift. A combination will likely provide enough of the best attributes of both to give you a more useful setup overall.

·
Registered
31 Posts
31x11.50-15s Lift/No Lift? 2nd Gen Amigo

Anybody running this setup? I'm looking for the most tire width for sand, least amount of trimming. Eyeballing 15x8 Sendel S13s w/ -20mm offset and TRXUS STS 31x11.50-15LTs. Trying to figure how bad they will rub just due to the width and if a lift will help or make it worse. Any issues w/ 15 in wheels on a 2nd Gen Amigo? Gonna buy everything online and don't want to have to ship it back!! TIA!!!

Trxus STS.jpg
Sendel S13.JPG

Edited Title!

Attachments

·
Registered
250 Posts
31" x 10.50" x 15" BFG Mud Terrain KM2's: 1991 Amigo XS: Ford Ranger Add-a-Leaf + Gabriel Airshocks. Front has ball joint flip and spacer with the torsion bars cranked. Stock wheels, no spacers.

download/file.php?mode=view&id=23869

Attachments

Reactions: bjlindsey

·
Registered
15 Posts
Curious about 15" wheel swaps on 2nd Gen Troopers.

It sounds like a 15x8 wheel with 4" backpacking (-12) should clear the calipers.

With this wheel 15x8-4", on a stock Trooper 2nd Gen, what's the largest tire possible that won't rub?

·
Registered
13 Posts
98 Rodeo 2nd Gen (2.2l 2wd :( ). 31x10.5r15 all stock and torsion bars cranked. Just put the new tires on last night. Front fenders needed a tiny trim on the lower inside corner on both sides( I rolled the fender a bit and cut the plastic off). just need to go hit the trails and test them out :twisted:

·
Registered
195 Posts
I know this has probably been covered but...I have 91 Amigo with the vin code for 31x10.5 from factory. Stock wheels and no lift aside from tbar level and bilstien shocks (sway bars removed) and soft bump stops. Trails I run are very tight and so I steer lock to lock constantly and using full articulation provided by the Amigo. If I switch to 32x11.5 will I have any rubbing that minor trimming wont fix. I don't want frame rub or anything that would limit steering or wheel travel. Also, will the offroad performance gains really that great from gaining 1 inch height and 1 inch width? I have been happy with my 31 mud terrains and don't want to effect steering or wheel travel. Any input would be appreciated. Theo

·
Registered
109 Posts
I think we should start a new section for early and late 1st gens due to the track width. My white 86 has 31x10.50x15's on stock 6 or 6.5 inch Isuzu alloys with 3.75" backspacing and the tires rub in the front under full lock and rub in the rear under moderate flex. My black 86 has 245/75/16 Treadwright Guard Dogs that measure out right at 31" tall mounted on 16x8 wheels with 4.5" of backspacing and these tires do not rub at all. Here is a picture of the White 86.
IMG_20150208_142023984.jpg

And the Black 86
IMG_20150713_182643578.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
71 Posts
This chart will be even more helpful if we list metric measurements as well as the standard. And no everyone has the money or wants to do a lift, but need to figure out how big or fat (I'll quote gwana66 here -- 'pool float' style fatness) we can go on tires and rims.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
I do appreciate the chart, but real-world results need to include the tire brand and model (tires vary wildly),the wheel offset (I've seen +38 to -10 between stock and aftermarket), and if it rubs, where it rubs. I know that a 245/75r16 on a stock 16x8 +38mm rim does not rub anywhere, and it looks like I have about 1" before contact with the back corner of the front fender with the wheels turned and the mudflaps removed. I seem to still have plenty of clearance to the frame at full lock. I'm going with 265/70r16, which is almost the same diameter as a 245/75, and just 20mm wider. It should be close. If I have to bash a body seam, I will. Will know for sure next week. I have also read that Amigo front fenders have more of a flare than Rodeos and may clear a larger tire, but I haven't verified this.

Reactions: superswire

·
Registered
28 Posts
for me even with 1.5" front lift 31" cobra tires doesn't fit in when steering. (amigo 2nd)

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
gwana66 said:
I do appreciate the chart, but real-world results need to include the tire brand and model (tires vary wildly),the wheel offset (I've seen +38 to -10 between stock and aftermarket), and if it rubs, where it rubs. I know that a 245/75r16 on a stock 16x8 +38mm rim does not rub anywhere, and it looks like I have about 1" before contact with the back corner of the front fender with the wheels turned and the mudflaps removed. I seem to still have plenty of clearance to the frame at full lock. I'm going with 265/70r16, which is almost the same diameter as a 245/75, and just 20mm wider. It should be close. If I have to bash a body seam, I will. Will know for sure next week. I have also read that Amigo front fenders have more of a flare than Rodeos and may clear a larger tire, but I haven't verified this.
Forgot to update this. Kumho Road Venture AT51's 265/70R16 on stock 16" +38 wheels do not rub on my 2nd gen Amigo. There is only about 1/2" of clearance to the bulge in the back of the wheel well with the steering wheel turned, so I think this is as big as you can get with no trimming of at least the plastic liner. It would not clear with the mudflaps. I have about 2.5" of lift in front, but I don't think it matters in this case.

·
Registered
359 Posts
This is a gen 1 Trooper II (88) with 15 Toyota rims running 31x 10.5 on it just a random pic to help show wheel and arch spacing

Attachments

201 - 220 of 250 Posts