·
Registered
4,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't think that I could hit anything at 500+ yrds without a scope. At that distance, a 13" target has got to look smaller than a postage stamp. And these guys are hitting them with black powder rifles, which don't exactly have flat trajectories.

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Farva said:
you should check out a mosin nagant its not a black powder gun but they are cheap ammo is really cheap and it packs a nice kick!
I shot one and honestly I do not like the action. You really have to muscle the bolt. I much prefer my Henry lever action.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Hack said:
Farva said:
you should check out a mosin nagant its not a black powder gun but they are cheap ammo is really cheap and it packs a nice kick!
I shot one and honestly I do not like the action. You really have to muscle the bolt. I much prefer my Henry lever action.
If you sand the action down and clean it up they work really well i did some work to mine and honestly its smoother then most bolt actions i've fired, but hey to each their own, i loved my ak47 and was extremely reluctant to buy an Ar15 but, one day i got a deal on one and im pretty happy to be honest..

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
I have HAD a Mosin (lost it in a canoe accident in which all of my guns sank :D ) that is WAS pretty notchy with the action. It wasn't too bad considering the age, but it was still quite a chore and the kick is enough to limit the number of rounds you want to send. Its hard to imagine fighting for your life with one of those, let alone the black powder gun.

The long distance black powder shooting sounds like blast. In a world where everything seems to be getting quicker and faster with better technology all of the time, it sounds like it would be a great way to slow down and relax. I've seen the record distance shots with high power scopes and everything, but these seem like more trial and error. I wouldn't be opposed to trying it sometime.

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
N law said:
I have HAD a Mosin (lost it in a canoe accident in which all of my guns sank :D ) that is WAS pretty notchy with the action. It wasn't too bad considering the age, but it was still quite a chore and the kick is enough to limit the number of rounds you want to send. Its hard to imagine fighting for your life with one of those, let alone the black powder gun.

The long distance black powder shooting sounds like blast. In a world where everything seems to be getting quicker and faster with better technology all of the time, it sounds like it would be a great way to slow down and relax. I've seen the record distance shots with high power scopes and everything, but these seem like more trial and error. I wouldn't be opposed to trying it sometime.
Ive been blessed with the opportunity lately to shoot several single shot rifles. I've always been single action revolver fan. It just reinforces how much fun it is to shoot slow and make every shot count. Yeah I like to unload a few mags from time to time rapid fire. But tight groups one shot at a time is quite addictive! it also keeps you honest. It's much harder to do when you really have to set up each and every shot..

Last week I shot Hack's Pietta Old Army black power revolver. What a hoot. I'm not sure what I liked most. Watching the fire ball that comes out of the gun, Or PO'ing everyone on the range with the smoke cloud! The accuracy was way beyond surprising! :D Lot's of drama and almost no recoil. Great fun.

·
Registered
359 Posts
N law said:

If you like the x54r round, try it in semi auto format the SVT-40. The best thing is even using the iron sights I was clanging steel @ 500m , I have since added a 40$ scope on it and it's awesome.

the rifle

scope & mount

·
Registered
705 Posts
I had a black powder Colt Navy replica years ago and it was fun to shoot but such a pig to clean up I sold it. Been thinking about a black powder flintlock or a Civil War Springfield replica or the like. Also want to get a SA cowboy style revolver.

PPCLI SVT-40's are getting much harder to find and are at a premium. I have a sizable collection of military weapons. (Mostly old bolts, 1903 Springfield, Mausers, Mosins, Enfields, etc)

IMO the best rifles to fire 54R are the Finnish Mosin Nagants. These were captured from the Russians and reworked by the Finns. New heavier barrels and much much better trigger. The action is not as slick as a Mauser or Enfield but it is improved over the Russian versions. I have an Finn M-39 that is a tack driver. Remember these are the same rifles used by Simo Hayha who was the highest scoring sniper.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I have a Finnish buddy that told me those Nagants helped his gramps run the Russians over in that first winter war.
I have an Enfield and for it's age and condition that .303 sure is nice

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.